Sign in to follow this  

mechanic left oil low

My friend took his bike (2007 RMZ450) to a local mechanic, dude wound up leaving it a little over half quart low. That means roughly 40%+- low on volume, and my friend wound up riding it for a solid day before noticing it (I could hear it clacking more than normal but mechanic dude touched it last so that meant it was right and i was wrong lol) and now two rides later the bike seized up. (was loosing power/bogging, friend shut it off to let it cool for a bit, started it back up, sat a second, hit the killswitch, and after that kickstarter was locked)

Mechanic typically uses mobile 1 synthetic, where as before I sold that bike I always used motul synthetic ester blend.

My question is, is the mechanic slightly at fault considering the oil volume was that low for that amount of time?

We were riding pretty decent that day so easily 4-5 hours on it with low oil. The bike had quite a few hours on it before definitely, mostly all easy riding and some wheelies here and there, and was due for a rebuild depending how hard the new dude rode it, but i feel like it should have had at least another 6 months left in it.

• Like 1

Hard call, but why was it taken to a mechanic and was he supposed to change oil and/or do a full inspection plus top off fluids.

Some people get mad if a mechanic does things to a bike they see need done and charge

• Like 1

Hard call, but why was it taken to a mechanic and was he supposed to change oil and/or do a full inspection plus top off fluids.

Some people get mad if a mechanic does things to a bike they see need done and charge

I don't exactly remember why it was there but an oil change was spoken about being done. Not sure what else was done, maybe checking valves also, oh and he had some case seals changed out too. Seems like if there was something that was going to let go within a few rides that the mechanic would have said something.

My $0.02, if he was responsible for oil change or anything where he had to replace the oil because of draining for engine work (case seals), he should have replaced with the proper amount.

Hard to prove it though, as who isn't to say bike piston rings were so bad it was burning oil. Not saying that's the case but it's a he said / she said case.

Also, Bike owner should have checked oil before riding. Yes you would expect a decent mechanic to do simple basic things you request, but me atleast, it's hard to trust anyone else with my bikes.

• Like 1

I think the guy should have checked his oil before riding

• Like 6

The dudes a new rider so that's why he took it to the mechanic. The dude has done good work for my bike, his, and another friends and always has good prices so we can't really complain....although it clearly states 1500ml on the oil filter cover so I'm not sure how he missed that. The bike definitely wasn't burning that much oil, it was clanking loud from first startup the day after the service. Mechanic priced him $800 for labor and parts for a complete rebuild I believe. Sounds pretty reasonable, not sure if the dudes going through with it or not. By the sounds of what happened when the bike seized, do you guys think its top end only or would it have messed with bottom also? My buddy said "its a full rebuild, it skipped timing and also took out the crank". He has some cheap aftermarket timing chain tensioner on it, I wonder if that contributed at all..

The bike definitely wasn't burning that much oil, it was clanking loud from first startup the day after the service. .

If for no other reason, this sentence alone warranted a quick look at the oil level prior to riding.

• Like 2

If for no other reason, this sentence alone warranted a quick look at the oil level prior to riding.

Right. The bike had the old suzuki 450 sound to it just clanky noisy sounding but ran smooth. I think the rider thought since the mechanic adjusted the valves thats why it was louder or maybe he didnt even notice. I said something to him but it wasn't until the next day that another rider pointed it out to him and showed him which timing plug to remove to check the oil level.

In addition to my earlier post, I would add that if the mechanic did anything that might affect oil level, he should have checked it and made it right. On the other hand, trust but verify. My wife's car needed a clutch RIGHT NOW and the timing belt was also due. I was busy so we took it into a highly recommended shop, first time any of our vehicles have been to one. As soon as we got it home I checked all fluids, long look over. long listen, etc. Maybe 10 minutes. No issues, but anyone can make mistakes.

The mechanics responsibility ended shortly after the bike as fired up, noise noticed and then ignored.

What might of been a small problem was magnified 100X by not checking the fluids and then riding the bike when it was making odd sounds.

"It is just s small fire in the kitchen, nothing to bother with" as the guy shuffled off to bed.

• Like 6

My friend took his bike (2007 RMZ450) to a local mechanic, dude wound up leaving it a little over half quart low. That means roughly 40%+- low on volume, and my friend wound up riding it for a solid day before noticing it (I could hear it clacking more than normal but mechanic dude touched it last so that meant it was right and i was wrong lol) and now two rides later the bike seized up. (was loosing power/bogging, friend shut it off to let it cool for a bit, started it back up, sat a second, hit the killswitch, and after that kickstarter was locked)

Mechanic typically uses mobile 1 synthetic, where as before I sold that bike I always used motul synthetic ester blend.

My question is, is the mechanic slightly at fault considering the oil volume was that low for that amount of time?

We were riding pretty decent that day so easily 4-5 hours on it with low oil. The bike had quite a few hours on it before definitely, mostly all easy riding and some wheelies here and there, and was due for a rebuild depending how hard the new dude rode it, but i feel like it should have had at least another 6 months left in it.

I make it a practice to check all fluid levels before I ride and start any engine. During my flight training I was trained completely in this method, no kick the tire light the fire for pilots! All fluids and mechanicals are checked before anything, you could have a nice chat with your mechanic pointing out his mistake in a friendly manner.

If your a heavy equipment operator and this happened because you didn't check your oil or antifreeze you would be looking for a new job. This is one if those life lessons that will keep repeating itself until you finally learn.

• Like 2

I check the oil before load it up then after I unload it then again before I fire it up then after the moto and again after I wash it. I also check the  tires ,spokes , rad fluid, and gas, chain and air in forks. It's just a habit I got into years ago.

Who's fault is it, last guy who touched it.

Every service manual I've ever read plainly states something to the effect of "check fluids before operation". It was a big screw-up on the tech for not checking and an even bigger screw-up on the new owner to assume everything was fine.

I think the guy should have checked his oil before riding

Agreed, sometimes the simplest response is the best response.
  • Like 1