Sign in to follow this  

LED lighting.

So the rear tail and turn signals are LED....if a fella wants to remove all that nonsense from the rear, I can simply replace with any LED turn signal...correct?

Or would I need the flasher relay?

May be a dumb question but I'm a noob, what can I say?

The flasher relay makes the turn signals cycle on and off (blink) when the circuit is complete (switch is "on").  No flasher relay = no blinking lights.  The flash rate is determined by matching the signal light wattage with the flasher relay design.  The problem with swapping OEM incandescent signals for LED is that LED lights draw much less wattage than OEM.  This makes the LED signals blink faster when used with the OEM flasher relay.  How much faster depends on the original flasher relay and the new LED signal wattage.

To deal with this you basically have 3 options:

1) Live with fast blinkers, depending on how much faster they are.

2) Install a resistor in the signal circuit to make the LEDs draw similar wattage to OEM incandescent.

3) Purchase an aftermarket flasher relay replacement built for this purpose.  Here's one example.

The 3rd option works best if you have a combination of LED and incandescent signals on the bike, as the flash rate isn't dependent on the load (wattage.)

Edited by wwguy

Thanks for info and response. I guess I wasn't clear that the turn signals were incandescent. Thinking they were LED. Thanks again.

Cyclops web site has a 20/40w led replacement... careful with cables and bundles around the instrument cluster... it sticks out a bit farther, mine has been working for a year. Now we have 20w left to utilize... bought two of the 10w aux lights and placed each left and right of the lower fork brace... lots of light now... the skaime dimmer really pulls this system together

As for the back of the bike and turn signals... all led replacements...  added 194LL lamps and holders to each turn signal assy. and tied to the running light... left the front turn signals alone(incandescent) to avoid problem with flasher unit, I actually use an old automotive flasher(was out of town once, autopart store had one for and older car)IMG_1327.jpg