Sign in to follow this  

KTM 450 or 525 EXC from XR400

Hey guys, about 8 - 9 months ago I bought my first bike, a 1996 XR400. Have been riding every week since and it's time to upgrade to something newer and with more power.  I weigh 165 lbs, am 5'10", and usually ride desert single track as well as a moderate amount of tighter woods single track. Also a lot of rock gardens. Being able to get over rocks without it beating the crap out of me is important.  I'm also doing the 200 mile Big Bear Run in June this year wooohooo!

I'm currently looking at KTM 450 EXCs, but am also considering the 525 EXC. I want a plated one, so I'm looking at 2007 or newer or pre-2004, living in California.  The 525's seem to be a little cheaper. $4000 for a 2007 525 vs. $3500 - $3900 for a nice modded 2003 450.

So which one should I get? Same weight, same suspension, same bike except for a longer stroke on the 525. More torque on the 525. I will probably not get a chance to test ride either on the terrain I usually ride on, so I'm looking to you guys for some advice.

Thanks!

James

Edited by XR4Ryder

Your best choice is the '07 525 EXC or an '07 450 EXC if you found one.  If you are looking at an earlier bike, make sure that it is already CA plated as it is technically illegal to plate dirt bikes of any year any more in CA.  I personally prefer the 525 over the 450 but either one will work out fine.

Thanks for the reply, Chas. You don't find the 525 harder to maneuver in tighter stuff than the 450?

Edit: Being accustomed to only the XR400, I bet anything will be easier to maneuver for me. Love my XR4 though.

Edited by XR4Ryder

Good thing you said you love your xr4 , you almost set off a crap storm, crisis averted.

• Like 1

Haha. Exactly why I added that -- didn't want the torches and pitchforks after me. Really do love it though. It's carried me everywhere and has taken an absolute beating and just keeps going and going. I really don't want to sell it. Might not!

• Like 1