Sign in to follow this  

2015 RMZ450 Ohlins

To all fellow Zook owners,

After a year and a half of testing/tuning the air forks I have decided to switch. I just purchased myself the Ohlins cartridge kit. They will be installed within the next week. I live in Michigan so weather is not allowing any sort of riding but I will be making a trip to Ohio to ride indoors. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

• Like 1

What took you so long :ride: I have them on my 15 and love them, no need to check pressures ever again, clickers hardly need touching from track to track.

I'm thinking about going the same route also.  One question.  How versatile are the cartridges when changing to different fork tubes? 

Example:  I have a 2012 RMZ250.  If i buy Ohlins cartridges for this bike, then at the end of the year i chop her in for a 2016/17 (most likely with different diameter and/or length tubes) could these cartridges still be swapped over with a little work, adapters or?

After a year and a half of testing/tuning the air forks I have decided to switch. I just purchased myself the Ohlins cartridge kit. They will be installed within the next week. I live in Michigan so weather is not allowing any sort of riding but I will be making a trip to Ohio to ride indoors. I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Where you heading? Summit, RamJam, 62? Let me know when you are heading down and maybe we can meet up. The indoor crowd has been rather slim this year so I haven't really gotten to ride with anyone. 

Pit bikes are taking over indoors. 

Hah small world...I was at RamJam sat and sun last weekend. Next trip I think I might try out Summit. I hear Summit is pretty good.

Both are really good but I think RamJam is about as good as it gets for big bikes. Summit seems more oriented towards the small bikes. Still fun though. 

Are you interested in selling the SFF Air forks?

Rotaholic- Any tips on tuning these forks would be greatly appreciated. I read on other posts that the valving can be tricky...

Bdubb- I'll PM you next time I take a trip for indoors.

• Like 1

Tuning is very straight forward, they should come valved for you, even stock they are very good for mx, run the skf seals and you are good to go. Make sure you get the correct springs and preload can be a personal thing. My tuner put in 8mm of preload but I'm now at 2mm and happy as. Clickers make a huge difference. So only go one or two max at a time. They are so easy to access also. They are plush, hold up in the stroke and don't dive, they have great bottoming resistance and feel very planted.

Edited by Rotaholic

I'm thinking about going the same route also. One question. How versatile are the cartridges when changing to different fork tubes?

Example: I have a 2012 RMZ250. If i buy Ohlins cartridges for this bike, then at the end of the year i chop her in for a 2016/17 (most likely with different diameter and/or length tubes) could these cartridges still be swapped over with a little work, adapters or?

Hey max, If you are planning on staying with suzuki for you're next bike, I would get the rear shock first and run your 12 forks. 11 and older ohlins inserts need to be upgraded so stay away from them, unless it's a really good deal. The inserts are the same size but spring retainer and bushings won't fit the newer 48mm tubes. You could buy the parts from ohlins but still a hassle.

Because your 12 has twin springs you could drop the ohlins straight in but if you get any air fork or sff you need to modify the valving leg to take a spring as there is no seat for them, but they come with the kit. Because you are in the uk I would wait till the ohlins complete fork comes up for sale on eBay, I see them all the time. A little bit more money but would be so much easier and you can take them from bike to bike

• Like 1

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know the max number of clicks on the comp/rebound? Also did you noticed the increased weight from converting to springs?

I can't remember the exact max number but stock is 15 comp and 15 rebound , I'm at 14R and 12C for most tracks.

I never really tried the airforks so I didn't notice the weight at all. If you can notice the weight I would be surprised but you could run the new Michelin starcross tires, they seem to be the lightest.

On a side note, I am running the 2013 fork legs on my 15

Edited by Rotaholic

I wonder how well the cartridge setup would work in the woods. Any body have any experience with that

Real popular with the ktm guys, I think they may make the mid valve softer but depends on the tuner I guess

• Like 1

Never used it on a  450 in the woods but the cartridge forks work well on the RMZ250 in the woods. Vet Pro A guy I ride with has them on his 250. 

I'm gonna have to look into a little deeper. I have not been able to get these forks to where i feel as comfortable as with my last bike. Other than that and the running warm it's been a dream