Sign in to follow this  

XR400 as a cheap enduro weapon?

Just wondering if a xr400 would be a good bike for the tracks and trails i do (Super long steep hills abit rocky, super rutted out)

I had a dr350 but its suspension is &%$#@!ed and i nearly died a couple of times from that

This is pretty much a life or death question

thanks in advanced  :bonk:

The XR400 is a great single track and trail bike, but like any bikes stock suspension, it can benefit from some work to work well in rocks and ruts. The XR really benefits from a fork brace when it comes to riding ruts and rocks. Helps the bike go where you point it instead of being knocked off stride. There's a compression stack mod for the forks that improve hi speed compression damping to handle rocks better.

The Dr350 mis handles at any speed,in sand a handful.The Xr4 like magic compared to dr350.Rode a enduro  years ago,with buddy on Dr350.He could not finish on the Dr350.So I said ride my xr4,I will ride the Dr.He ran away with my bike,gave it back after he finished.That Dr evil.

I don't think I would use cheap in the life or death sentance. If you need to have ultimate performance you will have to pay for suspension tuning. Yes the bikes are cheap but a superbrace is a couple hundred and the suspension on 15 year old bikes at least will need service and possibly tuning for what you do.+

Thanks fellas

Yeah suspension is so bad on the dr its not worth talking about 

Yeah i see what you mean cheap to buy but suspension tuning cost a fair bit 

So probably thinking now 450's... Any past experince on them?

Im 6'1 and light if that helps

450 suspension needs tuning too. But if you are talking about buying a CRF450R/X and getting the suspension tuned... well then the XR IS a cheap woods weapon. Since you can buy and and tune it for much less than the cost of the other bike, LOL.

400 is heavy.  250 is lighter and stock even with the crappy forks handles better.  I have both an 02 400 and 03 250.  The 400 never gets ridden, its a pig.

Yes but the 400 has waaay more power than the 250 stock.

I should have been clearer, a 250 with a modded engine.  That's why I like riding the 277 more than the 400.  The weight with the 400 isn't distributed comfortably, that bigger cylinder and head make the weight sit up high making the bike feel even heavier than it is.  When I said stock I was referring to the suspension.

The amount of power it makes is entirely up to you. In my experience, Low-end and mid-range (an pretty much anything under WOT AND ~5000rpm) torque are usually the weak spot(s) with 125 2T and you'll probably be disappointed with the 250 2T low-end torque as well. I suppose it depends if you can find a 250 2T that's not ported for MX. Maybe a KDX200/220/250?

I can't seem to be impressed by any other bike's trail manners after hopping off my (stock, as far as I know) XR400.

I ride very hard usually haha  👍 and would be on tap up most hills so hopefull I wouldnt be Trying to get torque to get me up hills

The amount of power it makes is entirely up to you. In my experience, Low-end and mid-range (an pretty much anything under WOT AND ~5000rpm) torque are usually the weak spot(s) with 125 2T and you'll probably be disappointed with the 250 2T low-end torque as well. I suppose it depends if you can find a 250 2T that's not ported for MX. Maybe a KDX200/220/250?

I can't seem to be impressed by any other bike's trail manners after hopping off my (stock, as far as I know) XR400.

My brothers have the two strokes. If you like them, the CR125 is perfect in the woods but runs out of steam in hill climbs and technical terrain. Maybe a recluse would help. Other brother rides a 250sx KTM its rediculous and I have to ride it slower than my XR250 in the woods because the power is unmanageable. The XR's have shorter wheelbases than the aluminum frame bikes and they have different manners than all the above. Best advice is go ride them. I love thumpers but you might be a two stroke guy. It's hard to beat an XR250 in the woods for fun factor.

Well if you ride hard enough to claim that you ride hard on the Internet, it's very likely that you ride harder than me. I had a lot of fun on my 125 and 250 2T bikes but, with the exception of climbing sand hills, I'm sure I wasn't able to do anything faster on them than I can on my 400.

Although I never tried the 250 2T on the MX track, I'm sure I'm faster on my 400 than my YZ125 on MX track.