Sign in to follow this  

450r popping when snapping the throttle

I picking up a 02 450 later this month. When trying to rev it it pops as if it's backfiring. It seems to run good but backfires a lot when coming off the throttle when coming to a stop. Im Not sure if this is normal or somethings wrong. Any help would be appreciated. 

its not supposed to pop or backfire.....most likely just needs jetted properly

discount!

is gas fresh.  open the air fuel screw a 1/4 turn and test.  sounds like the screw is just in too far leaning it out.  you can start fresh by going all the way in counting it thn give it an extra 1/8 to 1/4 turn and test.  Its pretty common to need adjusted.  Its the screw in the front bottom of the carb. have to have short screw driver reaching up to it.

• Like 1

is gas fresh.  open the air fuel screw a 1/4 turn and test.  sounds like the screw is just in too far leaning it out.  you can start fresh by going all the way in counting it thn give it an extra 1/8 to 1/4 turn and test.  Its pretty common to need adjusted.  Its the screw in the front bottom of the carb. have to have short screw driver reaching up to it.

+1

Your symptoms (popping on decel) indicate a lean idle circuit. Clogged pilot jets are common, so I'd suggest cleaning your jet(s) first. Today's fuels can cause jet clogging very quickly.

It's difficult to dial in your carb without an adjustable fuel screw. I prefer brass versions for durability/precision. Most are aluminum. The R&D Flex Jet is my favorite since it makes it easy to tune with just your fingers (trailside), is brass, and holds it's position well once set.

Good luck!

1453550891246.jpg

• Like 1

Mine is doing the same thing. probably doesn't help that it is only 30 degrees outside. I just bought it last week and had to try it out Pretty fussy trying to get it started and keep it running, i am also thinking it's the jetting.