Sign in to follow this  

Street legal dirt bike help

I'm 16 and about to get my license. I know insurance will be expensive for something like an r6 so i have decided to convert a dirt bike. I was thinking about getting a 2013 crf450r. I love the dual pipes and think it would be the best place to mount a license plate without killing the look of the bike.

Anyway my question was is a crf good for street and dirt use? Also I wanted to know if people did bikes without the "supermoto look". When i say this i mean no big street tires and hand guards. I'm trying to look as close to mx as possible.

Yes to both. I have two Crf230f DS conversions. MX bikes require a lot more maintenance for road use also not originally engineered for static throttle position. I change my oil all the time with only a quart in the crankcase. Check you state and local laws for conversion requirements.

• Like 1

Yes to both. I have two Crf230f DS conversions. MX bikes require a lot more maintenance for road use also not originally engineered for static throttle position. I change my oil all the time with only a quart in the crankcase. Check you state and local laws for conversion requirements.

What other maintenance is needed for a race bike beside oil? And how often do you change your oil?

My bikes are not race bikes, they are trail bikes and the maintenance on them is very little and less frequently spaced as specified by Honda, I check valves once or twice a year change my oil according to how much I ride, as frequently as 2 weeks or up to 2 months.  an X model would be better suited for DS than an R, but I believe the maintenance intervals are rather short on either bike compared to a trail bike or DS specific built bike from the factory. I'd check insurance rates if that's the reason your wanting to DS a dirtbike. A 450cc bike might not be a lot less than a 600cc bike, but I'not an insurance expert.

My bikes are not race bikes, they are trail bikes and the maintenance on them is very little and less frequently spaced as specified by Honda, I check valves once or twice a year change my oil according to how much I ride, as frequently as 2 weeks or up to 2 months. an X model would be better suited for DS than an R, but I believe the maintenance intervals are rather short on either bike compared to a trail bike or DS specific built bike from the factory. I'd check insurance rates if that's the reason your wanting to DS a dirtbike. A 450cc bike might not be a lot less than a 600cc bike, but I'not an insurance expert.

Ok thanks

The first year for the CRF450r that don't require triple clamps and other things to make then handle decent is 2005. Also look towards a CRF450X, much better for DS riding. Also they wear out top ends rather quickly which you may say is no big deal, till you get hit with a $1000.00 to have one done properly. (I had a street legal CRF450X for 6 years I know the costs of operation)

The first year for the CRF450r that don't require triple clamps and other things to make then handle decent is 2005. Also look towards a CRF450X, much better for DS riding. Also they wear out top ends rather quickly which you may say is no big deal, till you get hit with a $1000.00 to have one done properly. (I had a street legal CRF450X for 6 years I know the costs of operation)

You spent $1000 to get one done on a 450X or R?

You spent $1000 to get one done on a 450X or R?

To get it done from a decent shop; 1 new wiesco piston, 4 new honda valve guides, 4 new Ti collars/keepers, 4 new sets of valve springs, 4 new Ti valves, then a proper cylinder shop to install in todays world is about a grand total. The last one I did was all Kibblewhite HP products (to do it right)

Unicam motors eat valve and valve guides, everything else is collateral damage....

To get it done from a decent shop; 1 new wiesco piston, 4 new honda valve guides, 4 new Ti collars/keepers, 4 new sets of valve springs, 4 new Ti valves, then a proper cylinder shop to install in todays world is about a grand total. The last one I did was all Kibblewhite HP products (to do it right)

Unicam motors eat valve and valve guides, everything else is collateral damage....

Well yea if you list every single thing it seems extensive. Top end and valve kit, that's all that's needed. You don't even have to change the valves every time. That's what shims are for. I get what your saying though. It can get pretty pricey over time.

Also I wouldn't take it to a shop because labor cost is ridiculous. I'll just do my research first and ask questions if needed

I'm 16 and about to get my license. I know insurance will be expensive for something like an r6 so i have decided to convert a dirt bike. I was thinking about getting a 2013 crf450r. I love the dual pipes and think it would be the best place to mount a license plate without killing the look of the bike.

Anyway my question was is a crf good for street and dirt use? Also I wanted to know if people did bikes without the "supermoto look". When i say this i mean no big street tires and hand guards. I'm trying to look as close to mx as possible.

that's a pretty high strung machine for dualsporting or street use. a drz or xr600 (or similar) would be a lot less maintenance, and cheaper when it's time for maintenance. the tag is a beautiful thing, it will keep you out of a lot of trouble, just use a UFO (or chinese knockoff) to mount the tail light and tag. 

yes, a LOT of people enjoy riding dirt bikes on the road to connect trails, commute, or just play. 17" wheels are WAY overrated, and mean off roading is extremely limited. if you want to slap a set of bt45 or distanzias on the 21/18 you'll smoke a few unexpecting guys on OMG-MINES-A-SUPERMOTO bikes, and you won't care if you get a scratch on the plastics. 

run whatever bike you want, but realize that 'race' versions of bikes are less fun come maintenance time, and anything with a WIDE RATIO transmission is a better choice. 

• Like 1