Sign in to follow this  

New all-time record for 16 350 start attempts

So the weather here in the UK has been very cold over the past few weeks. I charged the battery 2 nights ago, turned the bike over and everything was good. I went out for a ride today and the starter just wouldn't turn the crank over. I followed the usual procedure of 5 seconds on, 30 seconds off and after 20 attempts of never even getting close to it starting, the battery was flat. Now I'm aware that the temperature was going to make it difficult (3 degrees Celsius) but 20 attempts just isn't acceptable. I've got the battery in the house now on charge but it's safe to say the battery is getting changed for a more powerful one as saving half a KG in weight is not an excuse for supplying a battery that doesn't work properly. If the battery won't turn it over after it has been fully charged and warmed up in the house then it's possibly another issue but it seems like the battery is the culprit.

You can buy the bigger tray from ktm and then buy a bigger li battery from eBay for around £45 ,no weight gain amd that battery started my bike at this temp on my 14 no problems

A few weeks back I was at the track it was by no means freezing but it was about 28*F which is damn cold lol There were 4 or 5 ktms that would not start, my buddy had the trickest little jumper and it started everyones bike in seconds it looks like apple iphone, here is a picture.. It will damn near jump start anything.

untitled.png

• Like 1

I don't go by the 5 second rule, I give it 2 max 3 seconds.

I think 5 seconds is a bit too much for this battery.

When really cold I warm up the battery by just hitting the starter half second 2-3 times every 20 seconds and then try.

Thanks for the replies. I've seen those before norcal, they look pretty decent. There shouldn't be any need to use things like that though. Can you send me a link to the battery and battery tray please mog. I removed the battery from my bike, put it on my smart charger and then left it sitting on top of my radiator so it was nice and warm. I've just put it back in the bike and it still took 4 attempts to start it. KTM need to rethink the whole battery concept as saving 1KG of weight on the battery and elsewhere (just so they can advertise the bike as lightweight) is not an acceptable substitute for a package that works properly. The current battery is not fit for purpose I'm afraid

The old leg kicker, though archaic, works like a charm!

It's a ball ache 99% of the time though. Electric start is the future and it's only a matter of time until all of the manufacturers are forced down that route. The system itself is fine, it's the underpowered battery they lets it down. My 2008 450 never missed a beat when it came to starting as it had the correct battery in it

Maybe a stupid question, but did you use the cold start button?

I do yeah. I tried it with it out as normal and it was no better.

Try ktm# 79011955044 for the bigger tray.

That holds a 5s battery. You can find anywhere or use ktm # 77311953000

Thanks Byron. I'll have a look now

That's it I found a battery with 120cca(cold cranking amps) and I don't think it will weigh hardly any more than std ,std is around 50cca ?

The li is actually more powerful than a lead acid if you get the right one ,the lead acid is dark ages stuff

Did you use the cold start button? Have started my 450 2016 in -1 Celsius and no problem. Took 2x 30 sec and on third try it started. 350 is even easier to crank over.

Yeah the cold start button was pulled out. Even with the battery warmed up and fully charged, it took 4 attempts. I may have a faulty battery. I may be wrong here but I'm pretty sure the 450 battery is bigger than the 350. I think the 250 and 350 share the same battery.