Sign in to follow this  

2012 KX250F engine cover paint and new to fourstokes

Hey Guys, new to the forum and I just picked up my first four stroke, it looks to be low hours, check out the pic! A couple questions, the engine covers have paint missing as most due for this model and i was curious as to what kind of black paint to get to touch this up, i know if will come off again but i don't care. I just don't want to buy the wrong gloss,etc and it not match. I searched but couldn't find this anywhere. Also any tips for a first time four stroker on maintenance and the reputation for this bike, i researched it some and it seems pretty sound but wanted owner opinions and not magazines. It runs strong and has a lot of power. The original owner said it has around 40 hours or so and never had any valve adjustment but cranks fast even when it was 20 degrees out. Thanks and see the pic! 

IMG_2982.jpg

86 views and not one response??? what a great forum!! haha, i guess i am the only one with the paint rubbed off on his engine covers.....

Paint will come off after the first ride. You'll need to remove the covers and have them powder coated.

Paint will come off after the first ride. You'll need to remove the covers and have them powder coated.

Yea, imo it's not worth it otherwise. it rubs off way too easy, there's a reason kawi killed their black covers 😛.  check your service manual for normal maintenance hours and you shoudl be good! just don't neglect it like you can a 2s and get away with it, bc it will most certainly grenade at a point if you neglect it:P

Have fun, bike looks clean!

i took mine off sanded them and painted them with bed liner seems to be holding up good enough. Had to replace the gaskets as they leaked afterwards. The only way to make them last along time is to have them powder coated as 40acres said.

Edited by Ripping_RobMX