Sign in to follow this  

500 Exc top end rebuild difficulty?

How difficult is it to rebuild a top end?  I've never done a top end on a 4 stroke, only 2 strokes.  Time and difficulty, what should I expect?

Sw

Piece of cake. Couple hours if you take your time. I had my motor pulled out of the bike so that was probably a lot easier as well.

Sweet!   Did you go with a wiseco piston or oem?

What made you pick a Wiesco over OEM (Wossner, etc) - was it the bump in compression or something else? Just curious on your thoughts - I've used OEM and Wiesco on other bikes and was picking between cast vs forged piston offerings.

Roost!

FLY, how many hours do you have?

how many hrs did you have when you rebuilt?

I guess I am wondering why you want to rebuild your top end in the first place.  Are you loosing that much performance?  Despite what the book says, these motors can go a long time without having to rebuild it.  Would you rebuild your car top end at a specific hours or miles?  I don't get it. I have a 04 WR450 with over 20K miles on it and no rebuild yet.  It still has great compression and power.  I am not planning to rebuild my KTM for a long time either.  Just change the oil, clean the filters, and adjust the valves. Four Strokes are not Two Strokes. 

• Like 1

A leak down tester set up should be in everyone's tool box, its the only way to know where you are really at .  Its on my list too.

DKT, did you squeeze the rings with your fingers or have a ring compressor?

Did you install the piston in the cylinder first, or place cylinder over piston, already connected to the rod?

I guess I am wondering why you want to rebuild your top end in the first place.  Are you loosing that much performance?  Despite what the book says, these motors can go a long time without having to rebuild it.  Would you rebuild your car top end at a specific hours or miles?  I don't get it. I have a 04 WR450 with over 20K miles on it and no rebuild yet.  It still has great compression and power.  I am not planning to rebuild my KTM for a long time either.  Just change the oil, clean the filters, and adjust the valves. Four Strokes are not Two Strokes. 

depends on the kind of riding you do. if you have it pinned doing hill climbs all the time, youre gonna wear it out faster than somebody cruising dirt roads. 

i know a guy that racked up 10k on his 500exc of moderate pace riding and highway. had a new top end done, then started doing harder riding and blew the motor up completely in less than 50hrs.

I just squeezed the ring with my fingers.

I put the piston on the rod first.. Did not want to have to hold the cylinder and piston while I did the clip.

I would think , it would be a Bitch to do with your fingers, compared to a 2 stroke  , ( no  ?)

Okay

Nope, easy peezy.

okay, I try it that way when the time comes 😉

• Like 1

Hi Fly and Desert,

Were your bikes using oil or blowing blue smoke? Any other symptoms? How much did the piston kits cost and have you needed to shim or replace the valves?

not much detailed info on these motors other than they are very reliable.

Cheers Aussie