Sign in to follow this  

Countershaft sprocket cover - leave off or keep on?

I'm wondering what the purpose of the C/S cover is, other then simply aesthetics...

Everytime I remove it, I find that there is TONS of crap stuck in there, which would just stay in there if I never looked in there. I imagine a lot of people probably don't go in there much, so all that buildup would ultimately cause faster wear and tear on the chain and sprocket...

I'm thinking if I just keep it off, I'll be able to keep that area clean all the time, and this will ultimately be a better idea then keeping that cover on. I don't see that dinky plastic cover actually providing that much "protection" anyway...

What are your thoughts on this?

You mean the case saver?  That thing that will save you tons of grief if your chain lets go?

• Like 3

There are two parts.

One is the case saver that CJ mentions and is very important

The other is the actual cover, that keeps your foot out of the chain. It also adds some integrity to the case saver bolts.

Most people clean the entire bike after a ride so debris in there is a non-issue.

Think about it. Would a manufacturer spend money on part that was unneeded?

• Like 4

Do you wear in-the-boot or over-the-boot pants?

I know what you mean about it filling up with mud and such, but I'd rather take it off and clean that area periodically than have a big rock jump up in there between the sprocket and chain or sprocket and case and bust the chain, cause the CS shaft to snap, or have the chain damage the case if it DID break. Most sprocket covers also incorporate a steel case guard. Check to see if yours does.

These replies you guys give make sense! I've just been having problems because I have to keep removing the shift lever because the bolt is stripped out on it, and so I was "borrowing" bolts from this cover. After removing the 2nd of 2 bolts, I've come to find that there's tons of crap in there everytime I remove the cover. I just don't want to have to keep taking my shift lever off and this guard off after every ride because of this stripped bolt issue. But I guess the bigger lesson here is that I shouldn't have over tightened the bolt that keeps the shift lever on in the first place!!

I'm wondering what the purpose of the C/S cover is, other then simply aesthetics...

Everytime I remove it, I find that there is TONS of crap stuck in there, which would just stay in there if I never looked in there. I imagine a lot of people probably don't go in there much, so all that buildup would ultimately cause faster wear and tear on the chain and sprocket...

I'm thinking if I just keep it off, I'll be able to keep that area clean all the time, and this will ultimately be a better idea then keeping that cover on. I don't see that dinky plastic cover actually providing that much "protection" anyway...

What are your thoughts on this?

I agree with cj, if you remove that cover you could derail a chain, and have it rip into your crank case, and that's one big headache waiting to happen. I would leave it on.

If it's the lever that's stripped, you could always do the proper thing and replace the shift lever. And if you're having to overtighten the bolt because the splines are stripped is another reason to replace it.

Or you could  use a long enough bolt to go completely thru the lever collar and put a nut on the back side. It won't come loose then.

If it's the splines that are stripped, making you have to keep reclocking your lever, if you're not careful, you're going to screw around and ruin the splines in the shift shaft itself, if it's not already, and the only fix for that is replacement.

Edited by Trailryder42
  • Like 1

Ya I already ordered a new shift lever; it should be here any day now. Good call on the nut on the other side though.

My bike was in the shop for a while, and they returned it to me with no bolt holding the shift lever on, so that's when I first started with the borrowing of the bolts...my first bolt borrow was from the skid plate from my quad (it was the only similarly sized bolt I had available), but apparently that bolt didn't hold up well...I was actually riding down the train tracks the other day, and I went to shift...and I noticed I had no shift lever! The damn thing fell off!

I found it after a little searching, and that's when I started "borrowing" bolts from the C/S cover because I was already out riding and had no other options. Again, after a short while my shifter fell off because that bolt didn't hold up either. I spent the remainder of my ride just keeping a very close eye on my shifter to make sure it was staying on. I ordered a new shifter, and I have several spare bolts now.

This is a bit of a subject change here, but anyway that's the reasoning behind me asking the question about the C/S cover. Thanks for the replies...I will leave it on there!

Edited by Irishman301

I pull the cover all the time, leaving the case protection. If you ride a lot of mud, that can get packed in along with weeds, etc.

It is probably mfg liability based more than anything else.

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 1

Think about it. Would a manufacturer spend money on part that was unneeded?

Sure they will if the gov't mandates it.  The plastic cover (not the case saver metal bar) is a legal thing.  Keep you from sucking your bell bottom jeans into the sprocket on your sweet ride man!

Edited by CBus660R

Sure they will if the gov't mandates it.  The plastic cover (not the case saver metal bar) is a legal thing.  Keep you from sucking your bell bottom jeans into the sprocket on your sweet ride man!

Not on race bikes. No chain guard. But they all have a sprocket cover. I've seen quite a few boots that got torn up as well as some pants of the guys what wore over the boot style. Not having it one because it is a effort to clean is like saying changing the oil is pointless because if you run it long enough, you can just add some new oil and eventually, you'll of replaced it all.

Look at most GNCC,MX, etc. And they don't run the plastic cover, case saver yes. These things suck up mud and debris, not a matter of cleaning. Pulling these has been common place for years. For anybody that runs the cover, more power to you.

• Like 2

Not on race bikes. No chain guard. But they all have a sprocket cover. I've seen quite a few boots that got torn up as well as some pants of the guys what wore over the boot style. Not having it one because it is a effort to clean is like saying changing the oil is pointless because if you run it long enough, you can just add some new oil and eventually, you'll of replaced it all.

How the hell are they tearing up boots on a CS?  It's tucked in a decent amount.  Are these guys jamming their heel in their for shits and giggles?  Between the frame and the ignition cover, there's quite a bit of material surrounding that area to keep an average sized foot out of there even without the plastic cover.

Edited by CBus660R
  • Like 2

Better work on foot placement I think.

Edited by DEMI

A good metric bolt kit is good even the smaller ones.

On my cfr250R I took off the stock front sprocket/case saver and put on a Hammer Head case saver.

In the boot pants

Then I like to keep by drive train really clean. I don't take off the case saver BUT I get in with a chop stick and pull out the gunk around the front sprocket area. Then before I wash my bike, I spray the whole drive train down good with Maxima cleaner and let soak for a couple of beers.

Then with an electric pressure washer have at the drive train BUT I adjust the spray to not blow really hard into any area's with seals etc.

This is not my bike but gives you an idea..

F40610317.jpg

Edited by filterx

Thanks for letting me know about these case saver things. I might just pick me up one of these bad boys!

• Like 1