Sign in to follow this  

Rear brake pad glaze ktm 500 exc

Is it possible to remove glaze from brake pads with sand paper or will I just be wasting my time? This is the 2nd set of pads I've bought for this bike in less than a year. I know I probably need to adjust the play in my brake pedal to prevent overheating in the future but was wondering if I could save some money and just resurface the brake pads and/or rotor with sand paper instead of buying new parts?

Your over thinking it.... ride them till there thin and replace.

Racers can burn through a set in one race.

Hard to beat SRT pads for the money, but i think the best pad for me is the Dunlopad Pro MX

I hear you E-Tech but my concern is with the pads being glazed ... My stopping power is compromised so I was wondering if it's possible to use sandpaper on them in hopes of getting some of that friction back instead of just spending $ on new pads.

Wh

I hear you E-Tech but my concern is with the pads being glazed ... My stopping power is compromised so I was wondering if it's possible to use sandpaper on them in hopes of getting some of that friction back instead of just spending $ on new pads.

Never seen this glazing issue with srt pads or stock, and losing braking performance , did you transfer over the stock heat shield along with fresh dot 5.1 fluid?  aftermarkets don't come with new shield, and most probably throw it away.

Im on my second set of SRT rears, but I seem to go through them really quickly, to where I pay about the same as oem( or actually more expensive). Their stopping performance is alittle stronger than oem, but I think I was over heating them causing squealing, I dropped the actuation point down and they went noiseless.

Several have nudged me to try the Tusk sintered , so I'll give them a shot and they are even cheaper priced.

Edited by Spud786

It's a thumper... downshift more often.... As for glazing, never had an issue in 4 yrs on my 500 and sold it with its original pads front and rear..... But, I've been known to blow a corner or two... or three [emoji1]. Sand 'em down, give yourself more play, and use the engine more and see what happens.

Be sure your pedal has some play in it. If the piston does not come up all the way the fluid cannot vent back into the master cyclinder which causes the pads to drag. Bingo glazed pads.

Sand the pads you cant hurt them. Be sure your not getting chain lube on the rotor. Wash it all down with brake cleaner.

Be sure your pedal has some play in it. If the piston does not come up all the way the fluid cannot vent back into the master cyclinder which causes the pads to drag. Bingo glazed pads.

Sand the pads you cant hurt them. Be sure your not getting chain lube on the rotor. Wash it all down with brake cleaner.

Thanks I really appreciate your help

Locking up back brake is not enough, front brake has all the stopping power! Same pads at 3k have not even a sign of wear yet!