Sign in to follow this  

Fuel range 15 WR250F white rim trail Moab UT

I am pretty sure the stock 2 gal tank won't make the 100+ mile entire loop. Will the IMS 3 gallon tank make it even? I plan to take my bikes out to Moab end of May for 10 days and the White Rim trail loop is on my list to do. I will have a big bike with me (Super Tenere on K60s) but prefer to use the WR250 on the White Rim instead. 

Being the largest tank available is only 3 gal I am uncertain if even that will be enough. I would't be ripping 50 mph the entire way, instead a leisure pace since I will be alone and do not need to crash or anything like that alone. It's an all day trip minimum 7 hours total.

BTW my WR250F is street legal with a MS license tag. :ride:

Edited by MS450

I can ride about 40 miles of trail on about half a tank of gas in my '07 WR250F. I've never actually measured my mpg though. My average speed is around 20-25mph but I'm always on the gas accelerating hard. I would think that with an IMS 3 gallon tank, a leisurely pace, and fuel injection, that you should be able to make 100 miles. HOWEVER, I would be very hesitant to try that on my own without knowing for sure. Is there a way you can mimic the type of riding you'll be doing and get an idea of your mpg under those conditions before your trip? Fill up your tank, go ride a similar pace to your trip for 30-40 miles, fill up again, and calculate your mpg (miles divided by gallons used). Doing this would give you some peace of mind before your trip. 

I have easily done 75 mile dual sport rides that was all single track with a 08 WR250F and had about 1/3 of a gallon left at fill up, only once hitting reserve five miles from the end.

Bring a length of hose that you can connect petcock to petcock (both bikes petcock on 'Res') to borrow fuel from a pals bike for safety. Do a test fit of the hose a week before just to ensure the hose fits and the hoses on the petcocks are not stuck on forever already. Then you can safey bet you will not run out of fuel. Use Murphys Law.

Its actually gonna be 150 miles. I ran the google map along the route from Moab which is where I will be camping downtown and that's pretty much the first and last gas stations in the area.

I'm kind of Leary if it'll make it on the 3 gal ims tank. Tough to mimic fuel mileage between there and here. Most that elevation is 4K or above I'm at 300' above sea level here. I do have a rotopax 1 gal can but no way to tote it on this bike. Only tail rack made for it is a pricey Pro Moto Billet rack for $250+. That and the ims tank is have well over $500 in tank and tail rack.

I was planning to carry my spare tubes, tools, water and such in a back pak/camel back which will not be too light with all that in it but that's not a real big problem as running out of gas in the middle of no where.

I would think you should get similar results to me. I was there in September on my 2014 WR450F. I had the IMS 3 gal tank installed. The closest fuel is at the Archview Campground / Shell Station at 191 and 313. From that gas station, down 313,  down the Shafer switchbacks, around the White Rim clockwise, back out Mineral Bottom , down 313 to the gas station was 130 miles.

My fuel light was on the last 15 miles or so. I had brought a couple MSR fuel bottles but didn't use them. Carried them in a Wolfman E12 saddlebag system along with spare tubes and tools. My friend simply strapped two MSR bottles to his back fender. I was in the same situation as you. I didn't want to mount up a tail rack and Rotopax just for one ride.

I will probably take my kid and his 2015 WR250F out there late this summer. Let me know what you decide and how your ride goes. 

I've gotten 97 miles on a FULL tank and dipped into my reserve. I don't remember if it was the same tank or not but I also rode 13 miles with my reserve light on. I'm on a 15 WR250F. I think you're best bet is to carry two msr bottles as insurance. Most people worry so much about fuel and 9 times our of 10 end their trip with more than enough

I would think you should get similar results to me. I was there in September on my 2014 WR450F. I had the IMS 3 gal tank installed. The closest fuel is at the Archview Campground / Shell Station at 191 and 313. From that gas station, down 313,  down the Shafer switchbacks, around the White Rim clockwise, back out Mineral Bottom , down 313 to the gas station was 130 miles.

My fuel light was on the last 15 miles or so. I had brought a couple MSR fuel bottles but didn't use them. Carried them in a Wolfman E12 saddlebag system along with spare tubes and tools. My friend simply strapped two MSR bottles to his back fender. I was in the same situation as you. I didn't want to mount up a tail rack and Rotopax just for one ride.

I will probably take my kid and his 2015 WR250F out there late this summer. Let me know what you decide and how your ride goes. 

Thanks that is very helpful. Certainly will post back up my results.

I've gotten 97 miles on a FULL tank and dipped into my reserve. I don't remember if it was the same tank or not but I also rode 13 miles with my reserve light on. I'm on a 15 WR250F. I think you're best bet is to carry two msr bottles as insurance. Most people worry so much about fuel and 9 times our of 10 end their trip with more than enough

True and I am one of those worry warts. 

I think I will spring for the 3 gal ims tank and carry a msr fuel bottle in my back pack as insurance. The back pack is going to look like something a marine would be toting during an invasion. Sucks this bike really has no way to carry anything or attache anything. Not much subframe back there past the rear mount. I have a few old Tank bags I may can retrofit onto it just for this use.At least I could put some lighter items in that instead of a crammed full back pack which with water is going to become heavy.

I have not been to moab, it's on my list.  I would want to have "extra" fuel though, in case you make a wrong turn somewhere, not just to have "enough"  I'm sure a gps is in use though. 

Absolutely will have a GPS along with trail maps plus I've researched this route in google earth for hours plus followed many online adventures of it. Not to say a mistake couldn't be made but my navigation skills have never failed me in the past,

From looking at google earth there is a parking area at the intersection of 313 and mineral canyon rd. Parking my truck there and going from that point on the bike will reduce the route by 50 miles so the white rim road loop from that point is 101 miles total. That is doable with ims 3 gal tank and a msr fuel bottle in my back pack.