Sign in to follow this  

85 rm250 clutch problems

I just bought a old beater just to mess with the other day. It ran good and drove well when i picked it up. However i noticed it is really dang near impossible to get it in neutral. Today i cleaned the carb b/c of stuck floats. I rode it again just down my drive way and back just fine. 

Now it is still really hard to get into neutral but when i went to start it in neutral the bike immediately went into gear and died. I didn't touch the shift lever at all. 

I brought it back in the garage and after hassling for a bit i found neutral again. this time i went to kick it and it just went right into gear no start, and that's it.

Things I've noticed:

-Clutch cable doesn't really have any slack

-I could see trans oil with my pen light in the case.

-the bike doesn't roll freely in 1st gear with the clutch in.

-when it shifted into 1st when i had it running good it almost felt more of a clunk than i'm used too. (then again it maybe just i haven't ridden a rattling 2 stroke in a while haha)

Thanks in advance.

The dragging clutch & clunking into gear is probably from the basket being grooved. You can take off the clutch cover & look at the fingers of the basket. If the basket is grooved, remove the basket, then file the grooves out of the fingers.

As far as the bike jumping out of neutral & hard to find neutral, it is more than likely the spring for the shift detent. It is either weak or broke. You can inspect that when you inspect the clutch basket for grooves.

Edited by KPRacing
  • Like 1

I replaced the spring and put everything back together. Now the kick start lever moves forward when i push the bike in gear in a forward direction, and then the lever moves backward when i push the bike backward too.

Any ideas? 

Thanks