Sign in to follow this  

most aggressive brake pads?

Which pads are the most aggressive?  I want to stop quick and I don't care about pad or rotor life. I'm racing King of the Motos in a couple of weeks and I'm tired of complaining about the crappy front brake on my KX250.  I just rebuilt the caliper, put a stainless hose on it, clean DOT 4, and bled the crap out of it.  They work OK, but not nearly as well as I'd like.  

If you want to stop fast and aren't that concerned about wear a kevlar pad will work better than the sintered metal.  Sintered metal last, but are harder.

Over size rotor.

Is yours glazed? If so it'll never work great until cleaned up or replaced.

I've always had issues with good sintered pads on a fresh rotor. They GRAB! I don't have enough skill to modulate them well.

Which pads are the most aggressive?  I want to stop quick and I don't care about pad or rotor life. I'm racing King of the Motos in a couple of weeks and I'm tired of complaining about the crappy front brake on my KX250.  I just rebuilt the caliper, put a stainless hose on it, clean DOT 4, and bled the crap out of it.  They work OK, but not nearly as well as I'd like.  

As a suggestion, If your bike is spec'd for DOT 4 you could use DOT 5.1 which has a higher boiling point and may help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

I'm by no means an expert in this BUT the above link gives some pretty good info and I would get someone one else to confirm this.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

I'll see what I can figure out.  It's not really a fade issue, they don't grab very well right off the bat.  Maybe an upgrade to 250f stuff is in my future. And maybe the rotor is a bit glazed, I'll work on that.

That's funny because all the kxf guys switch to crf brake equipment due to poor stopping power with oem units.

100% true, thats how crappy mid 90s KX brakes really were. I think mine was just tired/bad. I have two full size Hondas now and I have to admit, the brakes are fantastic. I never worry that I won't be able to stop.