Sign in to follow this  

bike change

ok guys, I haven't had my own dirtbike in about 6 years now and the last bike I had was a 2001 CR250 and im looking at buying a 2009 RMZ450. just tired of 2 strokes and don't really want to spend a boat load of money.

I have also ridden a 2007 RMZ450 and really liked it but I really want fuel injection.

Is a 2009 RMZ450 decent for trail and hair scrambles? Don't really know much about 450s other than what I read in the magazines.

In very slow trails where you don't go very quickly you'll be slipping the clutch constantly due to the tall internal gearing ratio and there won't be enough air flow across the radiator causing the 450 to overheat. If your trails are more open and flowing such as a quad width trail or logging road you will have no problem at all.

The trails I ride are old 4x4 trails and my dad runs his sand rail through them so in the airflow department I think I'll be good.

I have never overheated my RMZ, even in slow single track on a muddy day even with a highly modded MX motor. The only things I have upgraded is the rad cap, OS rads and engine ice. A good clutch will help with that.  

The RMZ is a good bike... I think it will treat you well. 

• Like 1

I have never overheated my RMZ, even in slow single track on a muddy day even with a highly modded MX motor. The only things I have upgraded is the rad cap, OS rads and engine ice. A good clutch will help with that.

The RMZ is a good bike... I think it will treat you well.

That is awesome to hear. My yz450 was the opposite.

• Like 1

I did the same thing with my 08. Overheated in the tight stuff, so I added a radiator fan, new radiator cap, and engine ice. Haven't had an issue since. The fan broke off at the track a year ago and I still haven't overheated. The engine ice and higher pressure cap is all you need. I also run a rekluse, and love it. Been a great bike.

Edited by motosinko805
  • Like 1