Will they fit? Or did I just waste 50 bucks!

More specifically, will they work. I recently bought an 02 rm 125. In the process of restoring I've rebuilt the top end, clutch assembly, and carb. I am 99% sure the reeds are bad. Well my dad hooked me up with some Boyesen reeds. One problem, it's already got v force reeds and a v force reed cage in it. My question is will the Boyesen reeds work in the v force reed cage. Also, when I change them out, how do you inspect the reed cage itself to tell if it's bad. Sorry for the ignorance. It's my first 2 smoker and although it's definitely a project, I'm loving the simplicity of it.

More specifically, will they work. I recently bought an 02 rm 125. In the process of restoring I've rebuilt the top end, clutch assembly, and carb. I am 99% sure the reeds are bad. Well my dad hooked me up with some Boyesen reeds. One problem, it's already got v force reeds and a v force reed cage in it. My question is will the Boyesen reeds work in the v force reed cage. Also, when I change them out, how do you inspect the reed cage itself to tell if it's bad. Sorry for the ignorance. It's my first 2 smoker and although it's definitely a project, I'm loving the simplicity of it.

No, they will not work with the v force cage. However you could dump that v force and pick up a stock cage (depending on which reeds you actually have) and probably make a few bucks on the deal. I have found on every 2 stroke that I have tested the two cages on, the stock cage with Boyesen petals, or the entire Rad Valve performs much better than the V force. JMHO

Anyways, the cage will not go bad unless you cracked it or broke it somehow. You just need to replace the gasket. 

They are designed to work with the stock cage. Even if not you will have many more options for affordable reeds that perform just as well.

As long as they are for your 92 then you will need the stock cage to use them. Without a part # it is impossible to know if they are or not without trying them in a stock cage. Or you can drop $50 on a set of replacement v force petals. 

Good news is that the reed valve assembly is the same on the RM125 from 1989-2000. If you can find one cheap enough then I would pick up a stock cage or even a used Rad valve and dump that V Force. JMHO.

Edited by BDubb106

If the reeds are bad they won't sit on the cage anymore or they'll have chips in them . They don't fit but cages are pretty cheap. Should look pretty obvious if reeds will fit . They'll slightly overlap the ribs on the gage.

• Like 1