Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 Linkage Arm Rubbing on Frame Mystery

I could use some help on this.  I have a 2013 YZ250 (two stroke) that has about 45 hours on it.  I noticed some aluminum shavings where the Linkage Arm was rubbing on the frame of the bike.  When the swingarm moves up and down, the linkage arm shifts to the right and then rubs on the frame mount.  I've taken the linkage and swingarm off twice and regreased everything and checked for wear and it all checks out.  The only thing I can figure is that something is out of whack and is putting tension on the linkage arm which makes it slide clear to the right and then is starts rubbing on the frame.  

I've been a member for a long time and love the site but this is probably my first post so if the pictures don't work or this doesn't make sense, please let me know.  Thanks

20160120_171231.jpg

20160120_171250.jpg

Make sure all spacers are there . I was greasing everything once and dropped a spacer and never noticed it till I was torqueing everything down .

The whole show floats back n forth. Looks like mine rubs a little, too.

Id check to make sure everythings there, look for any impacts/bends or if the mount is bent somehow.image.gif

Haha, no encounters with Dungey. Got it cleaned up and back together. Nothing looks bent or out of place. All parts are accounted for. Not sure what else to check. I'll probably just ride it and make sure it doesn't get any worse.

• Like 1

Update:  Not sure if anyone is still following this or not but It's slowly getting worse.  The frame has more of a groove worn into it and the linkage arm is pretty much worn down to the bearing seal.  I checked the freeplay in the swingarm bearings and it seems very tight still.  I've also tried linkage from a different bike and after riding for a couple minutes, the linkage arm was rubbing just like the stock one was.  I also had the thought that maybe the swingarm is not lined up with the bike but I measured from the chain adjuster to the footpeg and both sides are exactly the same.  They mystery continues...

• Like 1

Just an oddball thought; have you flipped the dogbone link over, to see if it still wanders in the same direction? :excuseme:

Are your mounting holes in the frame oblonged? Your certain that the bearing hasn't gotten play in it and isn't shifting? If that checks out maybe check there isn't a problem with the frame and the factory didn't either clearance enough material from the frame.

I'll try flipping it, i haven't yet because I tried another dogbone and it did the same thing so I kinda ruled that out.

I'll check the oblong theory tonight when I'm home.  I've checked for play in the swingarm bearings and they feel very tight.  I'll check the dogbone again tonight.  I'm about ready to just spend the money on all new bearings as a last ditch effort.

On the bright side, the bike is getting lighter every time I ride it.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

Cycle everything through without the shock

See if you can watch what's happening

• Like 1

Put the linkage on a flat marble table or a nice piece of glass to see if there's any warpage. 

Craigus

I would check two things.

1) unbolt the linkage pin and roll it on the edge of a flat work bench, if it wobbles it is bent.

2) pull the linkage and put the pin through it (only pull that one linkage). While holding the pin stationary with one hand, move the linkage up and down with the other. See if the linkage wants to go one way. If it does, one of the bearings could be worn or actually cocked a little when pressed in.

FYI #2 scenario actually happened to me.

• Like 1

Update: I flipped the dog bone and gave it a good thrashing. It doesn't appear to be rubbing yet but it's extremely close.

I pulled it all apart and made sure no mounting holes were oblong and made sure all bolts are straight. The only free play I can find is between the bolts and the sleeve of the bearing (very little). The bearing itself feels very tight.

I took the shock off and watched the linkage as it went up and down. Watching from the back, with the swingarm at it's lowest point the relay arm is towards the left of the bike and as I raise the swingarm the relay arm shifts to the right side of the bike. As I lower it, it shifts back to the left.

This makes me think that either the swingarm or the front dogbone mount on the frame is not correct. Either way, there's not much I can do. I'll just leave the dogbone flipped and ride until the wheels fall off...

• Like 2

Are you sure that the inner race tube is not worn down so bad it's allowing the wish bone to hit frame?