Sign in to follow this  

Back yard mx tracks

Hey all. I'm planning on building myself a mx track in one of my scrub fields when the snow screws off. Just wondering what any of you have done as for size, I mean how wide did you make the lanes and how long is the over all track. I realize everyone's will be different due to how much room they had to work with. I have a rough plan drawn out on Google maps. I'm using around 5 acres of land

Good question, hence our huge "lets see your backyard track" thread here on TT.

Find it and read up what some of us have done.

Coo

• Like 2

I also have a backyard track that I built myself. My track sits on about 4 acres it about 4000 ft long it has 4 table tops, 10 whoops, and a 90 ft tabletop, 20 ft wide, and a 65 ft step up. My track is in planted pine trees that we thinned out. As for as the lay out I started out kind of small and it just has gotten bigger over the years as I have added to it. When I started I really had know idea what I was doing. I think it turned pretty good considering I was flying by the seat of my pants. Just watch out for trespasses.

Lets see it Val. 

There is a big thread already on backyard tracks.  We all post pics and vids of our private tracks.

Many questions and answers about what to do and how to do it.

Mine is around our five acres.  It also started out small, but had grown to be 1:40 per lap.  Seven 40-50' jumps and many turns.  Some of it across the yard and  some of it through our woods.  Four bridges over the creek and a new section where we drained the swamp area.

Cant wait to ride it again in the spring.

Coo

The first thing I would suggest to anyone planning to build a personnal / backyard MX track is:

Before moving a single shovel of dirt,

-check with municipal / county autorities to confirm there is no land zoning law to eventualy make you shut it down

-discuss this with all your closest neighbors, show you care about their peace and quiet. Determine what best times to ride avoiding noise and dust complaints later on

-check with your home liability insurance, an MX track is a high risk (for yourself or trespassers getting hurt) that they'll want to know about

Edited by mlatour

I had a 1.4 mile track that was a mix of mx, woods and a hill climb at my farm. I imagine the current owner would have let it grow over as I could only see about 1/4 from the house and often heard people and had to chase them off the property. Part of my problem was there was legitimate trails that were allowed a pass through my property and maintained during winter by the OFSC, but in summer people weren't respecting private property. My only problem with snowmobiles were the occasional guy getting lost in fresh snow, or the odd guy broken down knocking at my door. Most places where you can get away with it, you will find you aren't the only rider around, or using your track regardless of signage.

I had a 1.4 mile track that was a mix of mx, woods and a hill climb at my farm. I imagine the current owner would have let it grow over as I could only see about 1/4 from the house and often heard people and had to chase them off the property. Part of my problem was there was legitimate trails that were allowed a pass through my property and maintained during winter by the OFSC, but in summer people weren't respecting private property. My only problem with snowmobiles were the occasional guy getting lost in fresh snow, or the odd guy broken down knocking at my door. Most places where you can get away with it, you will find you aren't the only rider around, or using your track regardless of signage.

Spensersmith89. I may be wrong but if your referring to ofsc I'm guessing your in Ontario somewhere. If so in wondering have you had any issue with the township with your track ??

Another thing about my track is I find myself working on the jumps,whoops more than I ride on it. My track is made from sand clay and it gets rutted after 10 or 15 laps. And if two or three bikes are on it. It really gets rutted quickly. If your track is in an open field you have got to deal with dust that's why I built this track in pine trees to hold moisture.You can spend a lot of money for equipment , irrigation, But I really enjoy mine. Good luck!

Spensersmith89. I may be wrong but if your referring to ofsc I'm guessing your in Ontario somewhere. If so in wondering have you had any issue with the township with your track ??

I am in Ontario and I did. I was cut a lot of slack for having the ofsc run through, but it was a pita. Nobody told me no because our municipality was getting revenue from mostly my land (longest stretch of ofsc trails on a private property in my town) and trails bring business here, but I had a lot of people abusing my property off season. I had to deal with a lot of bitching and a lot of people that supported me, but publicly said "oh well I don't know that's a good idea". My insurance also wouldn't have covered it at all. If I did it again, I honestly wouldn't be as friendly about it. Now I rent, so it doesn't matter, but I know the current owners of the farm don't allow the ofsc.

Ok thanks for the info. I too live in Ontario. Outside of Ottawa. And also have the snowmobile trail run through my land That was another small concern. But if someone screws around I'll just close the gates. They have already pissed me off a couple times so I have a grudge hahah. I'll see what happens I guess. I'll build it and only ride it myself and a few buddies maybe and see what the neighbours respond like

• Like 1

As I replied earlier above, check all those things before putting any effort into building a track

I love dirtbikes, but even living here in a rural/agricultural area I'd strongly oppose anyone building an MX track nearby

unless very strick shedules (which days / hours) could be agreed upon in writing & with the township autorities.

Noise carries a long distance (especialy 4-strokes) more so if you don't have a dense shrub or tree barrier around the track.

Even MX practice / race tracks (businesses) that have no immediate neighbours commonly get complaints from people 3-4km away.

Snowmobiles are more tolerate, neighbors aren't spending time outside or have their windows open in wintertime.

Snowmobiles traffic is also just passing thru, unlike 1 or more dirtbikes which are running laps for a whole sunny summer afternoon.

Makes the idea of electric MX dirtbikes more and more appealing,

you could have a backyard track and ride un-noticed even in a somewhat populated area unless you kicked up a huge dust cloud.

Edited by mlatour