Sign in to follow this  

New 450 - Issues right away - Hope you can help

Hello .... I  bought a 2016 Husky FC450, I'm posting here due to there not being many owners of this bike and the KTM shares many identical parts.

The day I bought the bike they told me they needed to replace my spokes. I waited while they actually changed out the entire wheels for a set they had that didn't need the recall done to them. I assume they took them off a bike that was built after mine.

Anyway, I got the bike home and noticed that there were three oil leaks. One of them I was able to resolve by tightening the bolt. I still have two leaks and am hoping some one may have experienced the same thing and can give me some advice.

The bolt on the bottom of the motor that houses a spring and a ball bearing was leaking. I bought all new parts including the crush washer, replaced them and it still leaks. What should I do?

The second leak is where the clutch slave cylinder mates with the motor. I took everything apart twice and re-torqued all. It continues to leak. I didn't try a new gasket yet because it will take a week to get one. Can I use Yamabond or Honda bond on this until I get new gasket. I am also concerned that the mating surfaces may be messed up from the factory. Can you give me some insight please?

Thank you!

Take it back to your dealer the have a 30 or 90 day warranty. They should fix it .

THEY MIGHT....but they will keep it for like 3 weeks.

Fixed ... by me!

How? MOre info?

My 2016 FC450 is doing the same thing......pretty annoyed.

Dealer gave me a new gasket - still leaks (and yes tightened everything with torque wrench).......

About to check/possibly machine the slave cyl in case it is warped seems to be the only other likely solution/problem

How? MOre info?

My 2016 FC450 is doing the same thing......pretty annoyed.

Dealer gave me a new gasket - still leaks (and yes tightened everything with torque wrench).......

About to check/possibly machine the slave cyl in case it is warped seems to be the only other likely solution/problem

Hi .... imo the gasket is too thin. also; any triangle type design is always the worst for warping and leakage.

buy the moose gasket maker sold by Parts unlimited. it works like a charm.

use the original gasket as a template. trace and draw it out on the new gasket paper. it will take a patience and possibly even several tries to make one. i tore the first one putting it on. I used a drill (in reverse) for the bolt holes and cut out the rest by hand with a new blade in my olfa knife. SHAZAM!

I tried all classic fixes with the stock gasket including a light coat of yamabond / hondabond ....continued leaking! I also tried the permatex spray on gasket sealer...continued leaking! Only the thicker gasket paper worked.

Don't over tighten but keep in mind that the top-right bolt is also holding on the chain guide...you can torque this one a tad more.

h

Hello .... I  bought a 2016 Husky FC450, I'm posting here due to there not being many owners of this bike and the KTM shares many identical parts.

The day I bought the bike they told me they needed to replace my spokes. I waited while they actually changed out the entire wheels for a set they had that didn't need the recall done to them. I assume they took them off a bike that was built after mine.

Anyway, I got the bike home and noticed that there were three oil leaks. One of them I was able to resolve by tightening the bolt. I still have two leaks and am hoping some one may have experienced the same thing and can give me some advice.

The bolt on the bottom of the motor that houses a spring and a ball bearing was leaking. I bought all new parts including the crush washer, replaced them and it still leaks. What should I do?

The second leak is where the clutch slave cylinder mates with the motor. I took everything apart twice and re-torqued all. It continues to leak. I didn't try a new gasket yet because it will take a week to get one. Can I use Yamabond or Honda bond on this until I get new gasket. I am also concerned that the mating surfaces may be messed up from the factory. Can you give me some insight please?

Thank you!

How did you fix the leak from the bolt tat houses a spring and ball bearing?

h

How did you fix the leak from the bolt tat houses a spring and ball bearing?

I tried every trick in the book and it still leaked. I finally brought the bike back to the dealer, and they gave me a new bike. Sorry...are you having the same issue?

I tried every trick in the book and it still leaked. I finally brought the bike back to the dealer, and they gave me a new bike. Sorry...are you having the same issue?

Yes i am, took everything apart and found this, looks like they machined it to close to the inside on the motor and created a hole, not sure why they didnt catch it when it was being assembled 

20160321_191655.jpg

• Like 1

Yes i am, took everything apart and found this, looks like they machined it to close to the inside on the motor and created a hole, not sure why they didnt catch it when it was being assembled 

That's a great find! You could fix that pretty easily now that you found it, but the dealer may make that good too!

Yea i will have the dealer fix it since its a pin hole in the case.... hopefully they dont have it for months 

If they can't give it to you in a reasonable time, tell them you want a new one. Or you'll post all this on TT.

Yea they have to send it to KTM for them to look at could take 4-6 weeks, so pissed about this 

I'm seeing the leaking slave cylinder on my new 2017 FC450 too. I will have a look at it this weekend and see where it's leaking. Sounds like in 2017 they did not fix the issues stated above with the leaky 2016. 

• Like 1

I had all these same problems.  

The dealer re torqued the nut on the bottom, and sealed the slave with a 32mm o ring.

Claimed the master cylinder is just over filled.

So far so good with 2 rides

Turns out my FC450 came with 15mm long bolt on the bottom of my slave cylinder, instead of the 20mm it's supposed to have. When I when to check the torque, the bolt was already stripped. The dealer installed a heli coil and this has fixed the leak. If buying a 2017 FC450 have the dealership check the bottom clutch slave cylinder bolt to ensure it's the right length and not stripped.