Sign in to follow this  

2009 KTM 450 XCF Clutch drag

Bike starts and idles fine, pull the clutch in, shift into first, stalls. Unless I rev it up while shifting into first it'll do this everytime. When the bike is off if I put it in gear and pull the clutch in and try to roll the bike the back wheel won't move at all. Any idea where to start in attempt to fix this?

I had a 2009 450 SXF and still have a 2009 505 XCF (same clutch on these bikes as yours).  My clutches have always done this. Never found a good way to stop it.  Many others have reported the same thing on this forum. Also makes it hard to start in gear unless you have a very fresh and new battery.  I just live with it.  Many threads I have read suggest using honda clutch plates or something to that effect.  I figured I would look into it more when it is time for a new clutch. Once it warms up it works fine.  If you ever do find a solution over replacing the clutch let me know. 

The proper fix is to let it warm up first. All bikes will do this when cold, especially if the ambient temp is cold.

I had a 2009 450 SXF and still have a 2009 505 XCF (same clutch on these bikes as yours).  My clutches have always done this. Never found a good way to stop it.  Many others have reported the same thing on this forum. Also makes it hard to start in gear unless you have a very fresh and new battery.  I just live with it.  Many threads I have read suggest using honda clutch plates or something to that effect.  I figured I would look into it more when it is time for a new clutch. Once it warms up it works fine.  If you ever do find a solution over replacing the clutch let me know. 

installed a rekluse 3.0 and problem gone

There are pressure setting on the pressure plate. I, II , III. I feel you maybe on III just reduce it to II and it will be fixed. Had a 09sxf and swapped the clutch basket for hinson and thats how i learnt. You need a small torque wrench for tightening

I have a 07 KTM 250 xcf that has a similar issue. I can't roll it easily if it's off and in gear with the clutch pulled in.. thought it was a problem till I bought my wife a new kawasaki and it does the same thing.. since they are both wet clutches i'm thinking that has something to do with it.. only other thing I could suggest is a better clutch master cylinder to help it disengage the clutch better. ... let us know what you figure out.

Bike starts and idles fine, pull the clutch in, shift into first, stalls. Unless I rev it up while shifting into first it'll do this everytime. Any idea where to start in attempt to fix this?

My 350SXF also does this, but only when its just finished warming up and I take-off for the first time. 

I have to rev it up before shifting into first or it'll stall.

Edited by CR2504life

My neighbor just picked up a 2013 450 SX-F, and is having the same issue..  Just came on here to start seeing if there was a fix.  Did you get it taken care of?

Had this problem for about a year on my '08 450 XCF. It showed up one day and progressively got worse until one day it stranded me in the woods because as soon as I shifted into gear it would just stall no matter how high I revved it. Wound up being the clutch slave. Easy rebuild, $40 in parts. I fully bled the fluid by pumping the lever and cracking the bleeder over and over until the fluid was clear and free of bubbles. Been absolutely fine since. Could fire it up cold and immediately drop it into gear without stalling (although not a good practice). Good luck.

Most likely a worn clutch basket.  Once the fingers get notches in them the plates can't fully release and they drag.  Pretty common on any MX bike, once a bike gets hard to get into neutral when it's running you know your basket is getting worn.