Sign in to follow this  

Am I too big for a crf150r?

Hi. I am 13 years old and a little bit over 5'6 and 130 pounds. I need to get a new bike because I grew out of my ttr125. How will I fit onto a crf150r, if not how Bout a crf150rb? Will I be too tall?But keep in mind I am still growing and my legs are longer than usual.

Edited by JENNA_111

I'd say you'd be comfortable on an RB for now but soon feel too cramped if still growing.

I'm 5'8" and occasionaly ride my friend's 150R (she's about 5'2") around the yard.

It's very un-comfortable as the ergonomics are way too small for me.

(knees hitting the handlebars while turning unless you sit waaay back)

The 150RB may have larger wheels and be slightly higher overall

but the handlebar-seat-footpegs distances/ergonomics are the same between both models. (R & RB)

By 5'8" and taller, you are in full-sized bike territory, if you ride motocross a  125 or 250F may be better options.

If only riding trails/off-road, a CRF230F trail bike is perhaps a much wiser choice than a MX race bike.

Edited by mlatour

I'm 5'9" 140lbs. It all depends on your preference. I rip around my XR 100f and I love the size. Ive driven a ttr 125 (basically the same thing as my 100f) and small wheel 150r's. For me it is not to small. I love smaller/nimble bikes though. Easier to catch if it starts falling, easier to whip around turns and you feel like your driving the bike not the other way around.

Edited by natedog7700

I'd say you'd be comfortable on an RB for now but soon feel too cramped if still growing.

I'm 5'8" and occasionaly ride my friend's 150R (she's about 5'2") around the yard.

but the handlebar-seat-footpegs distances/ergonomics are the same between both models. (R & RB)

By 5'8" and taller, you are in full-sized bike territory, if you ride motocross a  125 or 250F may be better options.

If only riding trails/off-road, a CRF230F trail bike is perhaps a much wiser choice than a MX race bike.

For motocross,

at your current 5'6" / 135lbs, either a CRF150RB or Kawasaki KX100 (also has big wheels) could do for now but,

since you are still growing, I think a 2-stroke 125 would better suit you in the future.

I'm 5'7 and found the RB a bit small.

I installed bar risers, tall seat, and slightly lowered the pegs, this made a huge difference. Very comfortable, Felt like a big bike. Besides the erratic high idles, I like it. Eventually sold it and got a ktm 200, could not be happier.

For motocross,

at your current 5'6" / 135lbs, either a CRF150RB or Kawasaki KX100 (also has big wheels) could do for now but,

since you are still growing, I think a 2-stroke 125 would better suit you in the future.

Yes I originally wanted a yz125 but my dad said its too powerful for me... He said if we were going to get me a 2-stroke I was going to get an 80 or 85.

I'm 5'7 and found the RB a bit small.

I installed bar risers, tall seat, and slightly lowered the pegs, this made a huge difference. Very comfortable, Felt like a big bike. Besides the erratic high idles, I like it. Eventually sold it and got a ktm 200, could not be happier.

Ok I think I will do that. And Niiiice I've always wanted a ktm but they are so expensive

For motocross,

And I will definitely be doing way more trail riding than mx that's for sure

Keep in mind no bike will be perfect for both trail and MX racing.

Depending on your experience an 80/85 might be enough power at first but you are still too tall for it.

Been cramped on an un-comfortable bike doesn't help you learn at all.

A CRF150RB or KX100 is a happy medium to get you started MX racing,

but may soon become too small if you keep growing past 5'8".

Also, both of these bikes aren't well suited if your trails are: slow / rocky / have hill climbs.

The KX100 will also have a limited fuel range, and the 150RB more prone to overheat when the going gets slow.

Race bikes don't like to go slow,

trail bikes don't go fast too well.

Edited by mlatour

Keep in mind no bike will be perfect for both trail and MX racing.

Depending on your experience an 80/85 might be enough power at first but you are still too tall for it.

Been cramped on an un-comfortable bike doesn't help you learn at all.

A CRF150RB or KX100 is a happy medium to get you started MX racing,

but both of these bikes aren't well suited if your trails are: slow / rocky / have hill climbs

the KX100 will also have a limited fuel range.

Race bikes don't like to go slow,

trail bikes don't go fast too well.

Yea I have not had a bike for that long only since last winter. And my trails are wide in most places and are flat

Dude hop on a 250 2stroke im 5'6" and 120 pounds im 15yrs old best bike ever, but if your still learning I'd go with a cr125 2stroke good size for beginner riders. and, maintenance on any 2stroke is a easy breeze

Dude hop on a 250 2stroke im 5'6" and 120 pounds im 15yrs old best bike ever, but if your still learning I'd go with a cr125 2stroke good size for beginner riders. and, maintenance on any 2stroke is a easy breeze

Man I wish I could. The father said if I'm gonna get a 2 stroke il have to get an 80 or 85. So that's why I now have my heart set on the 150r or rc. But I Rally wanted a yz125

I am 5,7 and 110 pounds your the perfect size for a big wheel. I ride a cr80 big wheel and it fits perfectly. your weight might dignify a different bike a 250f is to much unless your very experienced, if you like 2t go for 125 or just stick with a crf150rb big wheel small wheel will be way to small. A tar 125 has a 31 or 30 inch seat height a cr80rb wich has a similar seat height to a cr150rb has a seat height of 34.5 in. personally i would go for 2t, well I did go for 2t, but if you don't like 2t a crf150r is an awesome option. The 80's gonna be faster if you can keep it on the pipe.