Sign in to follow this  

is there a dirt tire thats long lasting & aggressive knobby tread?

i baught almost every street tire on the market for our bikes, but just got my 1st set of dirt tires, kenda trakmaster 2's..

and im not familiar lifespans on dirt tires and need some advice

they seem to be wearing crazy fast..after 20miles. 24psi cold..im not sure if its normal wear or not to see the knobs chewed off on the front side of the knob about 2-3mm already..

what is a long lasting rear tire that has agressive knobby tread??

(i do not want a shinko244 or similar tread)

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 1

The maxxis it rear last a long time and is very tough. I literally ran the rear flat for weeks offroad and on road with HD tubes plus rim locks before randomly checking tire pressure one day. I run a Dunlop mx 51 front. Last a long time as well. Yes they're non dot. I've gone 70 mph cruising just fine. I've never used kenda.

• Like 2

Tire has about 2k miles of hard riding. Almost half tread gone

IMG_20160121_013948.jpg

Now granted I weigh just under 200 pounds when geared up. I use the rear to stop and slide. I live in Virginia so our roads aren't as warm year round like say Arizona. The faster your speed, the hotter the tire gets, heat wears tires, also road surfaces. Basically what I'm saying is YMMV. The only thing I donot like is the performance on slick river rocks but that's because of the hard compound which is probably a major factor in its durability and life. I wish it was stickier but have to compromise. This is my third rear from maxxis, never any chunking

Pirelli MT21's are pretty good for dot off road and lifespan. The rear is similar to the 606, but the MT21 front smokes the 606 off road. Experience on DRZ400 kicker, WR450, and KLR650.

• Like 1

The new kenda EQUILIBRIUM looks pretty awesome. Center tread is the same as a trials tire (Pirelli mt43) but outside edges are like a mx knobbie for much better cornering. Trials type tires last a good while even on pavement and work good on dirt.

http://powersports.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/motorcyclescooter/mxoff-road/equilibrium/

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

+1 for the MT-21s. Done a few thousand kms on bitumen pushing pretty hard in the twisties and sometimes I forget I'm on knobbies... and then sometimes they remind me with the odd squirm. Did a bunch of dirt today including fast fire roads, jumps, potholes, culverts, and 28 river crossings. They're super slippery on flat river rocks but still controllable and the versatility they give me the other 99.99% of the time makes them worth it. Still got a looong way to go before they're worn out too.

• Like 1

Too much pressure in your tm2's. I run 16-18 on the street.

Yeah, I'd agree. With aggressive knobbies I run 18 psi rear and 20 psi front on the street.

• Like 1

i baught almost every street tire on the market for our bikes, but just got my 1st set of dirt tires, kenda trakmaster 2's..

and im not familiar lifespans on dirt tires and need some advice

they seem to be wearing crazy fast..after 20miles. 24psi cold..im not sure if its normal wear or not to see the knobs chewed off on the front side of the knob about 2-3mm already..

what is a long lasting rear tire that has agressive knobby tread??

(i do not want a shinko244 or similar tread)

I run 20 psi in my Trakmasters for 50/50 riding, I think they last pretty good for a knobby.  The Pirelli MT21's last a little longer, and is a good off-road tire.

• Like 1

I have over a thousand miles on my TKIIs. I will definitely get at least another grand on them too. I might run 15 psi, 20 psi tops.

• Like 2

Mt21 is the worst off road tire ever!! Its a street tire that looks like a knobby.

Pirelli MT21's are pretty good for dot off road and lifespan. The rear is similar to the 606, but the MT21 front smokes the 606 off road. Experience on DRZ400 kicker, WR450, and KLR650.

LOL.  Opinions seem to vary a little bit on the MT21s. :-)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5416/pr/pirelli-mt-21-rallycross-rear-tire

Edited by GeoffOnline
  • Like 2

LOL.  Opinions seem to vary a little bit on the MT21s. :-)

The reader can determine which is likely more accurate with a tiny bit of research.

• Like 1

T63 rears get pretty good milegae and good traction both on-off road.Even working great on snow/ice this winter. The Trackmasters are not really known for long mileage on road but are good traction while they last.

• Like 1