Sign in to follow this  

07 decent quality chain

I want replace my chain on my 07, the old one I have on the bike was/is rubbing on the case causing a groove. I was told this is because it's an older o-ring chain (apparently they were wider than the new ones). So I'd like to get a new o-ring or x-ring chain (not sure what the difference is). I'd like something decent quality with cheapest price obviously. Is there a way know how many links I need without going out to my bike and counting them all. I'm assuming if I change sprockets sizes, this will also affect the length I need. Currently running 13/50. I'm thinking I might go to 13/52. Asking because I have no experience with chains, good or bad. Thanks In advance.

I want replace my chain on my 07, the old one I have on the bike was/is rubbing on the case causing a groove. I was told this is because it's an older o-ring chain (apparently they were wider than the new ones). So I'd like to get a new o-ring or x-ring chain (not sure what the difference is). I'd like something decent quality with cheapest price obviously. Is there a way know how many links I need without going out to my bike and counting them all. I'm assuming if I change sprockets sizes, this will also affect the length I need. Currently running 13/50. I'm thinking I might go to 13/52. Asking because I have no experience with chains, good or bad. Thanks In advance.

DID 520VT2 chain is narrow so it won't rub your case and wears very well. Chain will come in 120 links. Move axle all the way forward and install chain (new sprocket first obviously) so you will know you have the correct links and which one to remove. Grind the rivets on link that needs removed and use chain tool.

Grinding both rivets makes the link not bind as you remove link and easier to remove. Buy a master link tool if you don't have one.

• Like 1

+1 on the DID VT2.  I get about 100 hours out of one.  Match it with the Ironman stainless steel sproket and you will be set.

Renthal R1 works chain. Non O ring chain but lasts a long time. High tensile strength. Made in Italy by Regina sold at rmatv.

• Like 1

Renthal R1 works chain. Non O ring chain but lasts a long time. High tensile strength. Made in Italy by Regina sold at rmatv.

A fellow Canuck, see if I can help you.. I use the Renthal Works R1 that shrubitup mentioned on my 2 strokes, but find they get stretched out on a 450 in a season, so I use the DID VX X ring chain on fresh sprockets and can get 2-3 years out of them after the initial stretch and break in is done.. Royal distributing will ship it to you for free and is the cheapest way to go right now.

Renthal R1 -120 link chain is part number A03-520120 @ $112.99 (2015 summer pricing)

DID vx Xring -120 link is part number A03-504016 @ $104.99 (2015 summer pricing)

you can order it online and be done with it.!

• Like 1

That's a $150 chain! Is that not expensive for a chain? Seems like it.

They're less in the states. I paid like $120 for my current one from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. Not out of line for a good chain.

A fellow Canuck, see if I can help you.. I use the Renthal Works R1 that shrubitup mentioned on my 2 strokes, but find they get stretched out on a 450 in a season, so I use the DID VX X ring chain on fresh sprockets and can get 2-3 years out of them after the initial stretch and break in is done.. 

I have same on my Husky TE449 but it's nowhere near same power/torque wise as a CRF450R. Haven't noticed big chain stretch on it using the Renthal R1 but most experience on them comes from my 250 smokers so you're spot on. :cheers:

Service manual says that for 13/48 gearing the chain length should be 114 links. Most new chains give you a little extra. With the gearing you are running and want to run you might leave a link or 2 extra to keep your rear wheel in the same adjustment spot if you wanted.

Lol, did you miss the part about the good price? That's a $200 chain. Eep, thanks anyways 🙂

google shows more like 120....

and its 120 well spent

you can buy 3 shitty chains, and adjust them all the time and wreck your sprockets.

Quality and cheap price don't go together. ..

No I realize that, but I'm looking for that middle ground where I get something decent for a fair price. I can't afford some bedazzled bling chain that notifies me of texts and calls I missed while riding 😉 that's why I'm asking for some experienced views. I don't want to buy a piece of garbage either.

Thanks for the input everyone.