Sign in to follow this  

Any weightlifting/gen fitness tips?

Hey, I'm 19, and finally decided it's time to start working out again, and get back into shape.

I'm really just looking for some decent weightlifting routines for beginners.

I've been doing

Mon/ shoulders/triceps

Tues/ legs/glutes/abs

Wed/ Biceps/back

Thurs/ shoulders/triceps again

Friday/ mix of Tues+Wed.

All of this with about 30-60min of cardio mixed in each day.

Any help/plans/general advice?

Should I be taking some protein after? That type of thing.

Thanks.

Your weight lifting routine is great however I recommend you replace resting between sets with cardio routines like burpees or goblet squat to overhead presses with a medium weight dumbbell or kettle bell. Once I started doing more compound weight lifting exercises instead of focusing on specific muscle group my stamina increased dramatically. Compound exercises utilize as many muscles as possible and doing those in between your sets will keep your heart rate sky high. You will shred up and be hungry all the time but just eat clean and eat a lot and you'll be fine. That's just my opinion. I hope it makes sense.

• Like 1

I am with him on the compound standpoint. I think people get in the gym without much experience and automatically think, well I have to have arms day, legs day, chest day, etc. Really, for general all purpose fitness/strength...you dont need to do flies, hammer curls, etc.

I would suggest lifting maybe 3 days a week, say m-w-f or t-th-sat etc. But come up with a routine that includes all compound movements at some point. Squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, pull ups, shoulder press, etc. You work things like you core doing a lot of those if you do them free weight with dumbbells/barbells. I mean you squat you work basically your whole body because the weight on your shoulders doesnt keep itself upright on it own. You do bent over rows without a hand on a bench supporting you, your core is what keeps your back in the proper position during your reps. Your biceps/triceps are being used to do much of that.

I personally dont mix lifting and cardio. Diff days for me.

Keep in mind the diet and what it is composed of makes a big difference in not only losing fat or gaining muscle, but garbage in often gets garbage out (goes with MX too, you think pro's eat fast food all day even though "calories are calories"?) lol. If you decided to do the compound lifts...do them FREE weight. If that means you have to go into a gym with meatheads and be doing a fraction of their weight...so what. Machines like a smith machine for squats for example does not require nearly the stabilizer muscles (often important in a sport like MX) that free weights do. Start light and focus on form (plenty of google stuff out there on form). And don't be afraid to REST....people think they have to be doing something every single day, rest can be good...over training can be bad and often causes quitting.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF
  • Like 1

Hey, I'm 19, and finally decided it's time to start working out again, and get back into shape.

I'm really just looking for some decent weightlifting routines for beginners.

I've been doing

Mon/ shoulders/triceps

Tues/ legs/glutes/abs

Wed/ Biceps/back

Thurs/ shoulders/triceps again

Friday/ mix of Tues+Wed.

All of this with about 30-60min of cardio mixed in each day.

Any help/plans/general advice?

Should I be taking some protein after? That type of thing.

Thanks.

before I can give advice, I must build some report with you. What are your goals? Do you have any injuries I need to know about before prescribing a particular regiment? I.E bad knees, surgeries, any pain when bending etc. There are several of us in this forum, that can really help you if you're willing to do the work and be consistent. Let us know.. The more detailed the better.. (+) 1 on the info regarding compound movements BTW. Work smarter not harder.. Also, if you train efficiently, you can get amazing results spending just 30-60min in the gym. You don't need to be a gym rat to get what you desire. Edited by slowgs2001

I am with him on the compound standpoint. I think people get in the gym without much experience and automatically think, well I have to have arms day, legs day, chest day, etc. Really, for general all purpose fitness/strength...you dont need to do flies, hammer curls, etc.

I would suggest lifting maybe 3 days a week, say m-w-f or t-th-sat etc. But come up with a routine that includes all compound movements at some point. Squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, pull ups, shoulder press, etc. You work things like you core doing a lot of those if you do them free weight with dumbbells/barbells. I mean you squat you work basically your whole body because the weight on your shoulders doesnt keep itself upright on it own. You do bent over rows without a hand on a bench supporting you, your core is what keeps your back in the proper position during your reps. Your biceps/triceps are being used to do much of that.

I personally dont mix lifting and cardio. Diff days for me.

Keep in mind the diet and what it is composed of makes a big difference in not only losing fat or gaining muscle, but garbage in often gets garbage out (goes with MX too, you think pro's eat fast food all day even though "calories are calories"?) lol. If you decided to do the compound lifts...do them FREE weight. If that means you have to go into a gym with meatheads and be doing a fraction of their weight...so what. Machines like a smith machine for squats for example does not require nearly the stabilizer muscles (often important in a sport like MX) that free weights do. Start light and focus on form (plenty of google stuff out there on form). And don't be afraid to REST....people think they have to be doing something every single day, rest can be good...over training can be bad and often causes quitting.

Free weights are what I'm mainly doing, with a little bit of a cable machine.

For me diet is definitely my weak point, I'm always on the run between college and work, so I usually eat like a fruit cup for breakfast (I know....), and something prepackaged for lunch, or fast-food. Dinner is always a good meal though because my parents are gluten-free/healthy cooking, and I just eat whatever they make.

before I can give advice, I must build some report with you. What are your goals? Do you have any injuries I need to know about before prescribing a particular regiment? I.E bad knees, surgeries, any pain when bending etc. There are several of us in this forum, that can really help you if you're willing to do the work and be consistent. Let us know.. The more detailed the better.. (+) 1 on the info regarding compound movements BTW. Work smarter not harder.. Also, if you train efficiently, you can get amazing results spending just 30-60min in the gym. You don't need to be a gym rat to get what you desire.

I weigh 235#, and my goal is to get around 200#, but I'm also wanting to build muscle, specifically upper body.

I've broke my left arm a few years back, but I did it twice within the span of a year. Lost alot of muscle then, and my left arm is still noticeably weak compared to my right (lift about 5 pounds less). I've also strained/tore something in my right shoulder 2 years back, but it's not noticeable anymore.

• Like 1

Free weights are what I'm mainly doing, with a little bit of a cable machine.

For me diet is definitely my weak point, I'm always on the run between college and work, so I usually eat like a fruit cup for breakfast (I know....), and something prepackaged for lunch, or fast-food. Dinner is always a good meal though because my parents are gluten-free/healthy cooking, and I just eat whatever they make.

I weigh 235#, and my goal is to get around 200#, but I'm also wanting to build muscle, specifically upper body.

I've broke my left arm a few years back, but I did it twice within the span of a year. Lost alot of muscle then, and my left arm is still noticeably weak compared to my right (lift about 5 pounds less). I've also strained/tore something in my right shoulder 2 years back, but it's not noticeable anymore.

ok. This is good info.. Have you been cleared by your Dr to work out on regular basis? I ask because we don't want you to re injure yourself a third time. Now that you have told us you want to lose weight, do you need to lose weight by a specific time? Or do you simply desire to lose 35lbs in time? 35lbs is nothing. You will shed quite a few lbs in a short amount of time as your body moves through stages of adaptation. You will first want to focus on any, tight muscles that you may have. Foam rolling will assist you to get those tight muscles to optimal length.. So keep this in mind. Next, you will want to perform proprioceptive exercises that are compounded. Use your time wisely.. Look up the term peripheral heart action training. You'll want to perform these type of circuits every other day . I.E. Monday, Wednesday, Friday for example. Creativity is awesome. You can mix and match exercises to make it fun. You'll want to keep performing peripheral heart action training for 6-8 weeks. For the first week, start light in weight. 2-3 sets at 15-20 reps. Using a slow tempo. This is called time under tention. On off days, you can do hard cardio. You will be getting good cardio in when performing peripheral heart action training. Keep this in mind. After your body has gotten used to you placing stresses on it. You can then move into some strength endurance training. Using supersets. One strength exercise paired with a proprioceptive exercise.. Let's start with this info ok.. There is so so much to explain, but I gotta train a client now. I'll check back later

ok. This is good info.. Have you been cleared by your Dr to work out on regular basis? I ask because we don't want you to re injure yourself a third time. Now that you have told us you want to lose weight, do you need to lose weight by a specific time? Or do you simply desire to lose 35lbs in time? 35lbs is nothing. You will shed quite a few lbs in a short amount of time as your body moves through stages of adaptation. You will first want to focus on any, tight muscles that you may have. Foam rolling will assist you to get those tight muscles to optimal length.. So keep this in mind. Next, you will want to perform proprioceptive exercises that are compounded. Use your time wisely.. Look up the term peripheral heart action training. You'll want to perform these type of circuits every other day . I.E. Monday, Wednesday, Friday for example. Creativity is awesome. You can mix and match exercises to make it fun. You'll want to keep performing peripheral heart action training for 6-8 weeks. For the first week, start light in weight. 2-3 sets at 15-20 reps. Using a slow tempo. This is called time under tention. On off days, you can do hard cardio. You will be getting good cardio in when performing peripheral heart action training. Keep this in mind. After your body has gotten used to you placing stresses on it. You can then move into some strength endurance training. Using supersets. One strength exercise paired with a proprioceptive exercise.. Let's start with this info ok.. There is so so much to explain, but I gotta train a client now. I'll check back later

Yeah I'm fine to work out, it was quite a few years back, and I've been riding, and playing football, and everything else since then. 

No specific time frame on the weight loss, just want to lose at least that. I'll do some research on what you listed, and I appreciate the advice so far!

• Like 1

Yeah I'm fine to work out, it was quite a few years back, and I've been riding, and playing football, and everything else since then.

No specific time frame on the weight loss, just want to lose at least that. I'll do some research on what you listed, and I appreciate the advice so far!

so first thing.. Pin point which muscles are overactive (meaning tight/shortened). Then use a foam roller anywhere from 5-7 days a week on those tight muscles then immediately stretch those areas out to achieve optimal length. Next, perform the peripheral heart circuits. You'll go from working upper body to lower body. Back and forth. Back and forth. Minimal rest in between each station, ok? Hit each station 1 round then if you need a rest, then rest. If not, then begin next round of all stations. You'll go from one station to the next station. This is called vertical loading. This is important because it allows the muscles that have just been stressed, time to rest as you move onto your next station. Finally, it may be a great idea to determine your training zones so that you know exactly where to train at for optimal gains. If you don't have HR monitor, you can do a self check of heart rate, by simply checking your pulse and looking at a second hand on a clock. Count how many beats for 6sec. Then multiply the number of beats you counted by 10. This will not be super accurate, but it will give you an idea of how hard you're training. The 6sec represents 60sec when you multiply the number of beats by 10. Lastly, compound movements are a must to achieve great results quickly. Example of a PHA circuit for a sedentary individual who is just starting take that journey to get fit.:

1. Stability ball dumbbell chest press

2. Forward step ups

3. Single leg dumbbell curls to overhead press

4. Incline mountain climbers using bench

5. Squat burst

6. Stability ball dumbbell triceps kick back

7. Alternating forward lung

Edited by slowgs2001
  • Like 1

Don't know if anyone said it but leg day followed by back day should be changed up. Squatting then deadlifting the next day will not be beneficial.

If you want to loose weight, run. Long distance. It sucks and I hate it, but you will loose weight. Stay away from all of these shitty shoes that give you WAY too much support. Cavemen ran hella fine barefoot, we aren't too far removed from them, learning to run correctly is more important than just putting in miles. Especially being 235lbs. Personally I would still to calisthenics for about a month to get your ligaments and tendons used to it. Then start lifting weight. Learn how to clean, jerk, overhead squat, etc. so you can maximize your time in the gym. Start light and make sure your form is good. A good trainer realizes that injury prevention and longevity come first. Then strength if you have the time.

• Like 1

Don't know if anyone said it but leg day followed by back day should be changed up. Squatting then deadlifting the next day will not be beneficial.

You can't be serious. I squat 7 days a week, deadlift 2x a week. Olympic lift 3x a week. That is bad advice that you gave.

Everybody is different though. I can squat no more than 2'times a week bc of how long it takes my legs to feel ready again. When I do legs I'm sore for 3 days. UsuAlly I can't even walk normal they hurt so bad, even if I stretch constantly throughout the days. So I guess some people recover quicker, some people recover slower, everyone's diet is different, everyone's body is different. There's too many variables to determine what's good or bad advice. It's whatever works for you.

Everybody is different though. I can squat no more than 2'times a week bc of how long it takes my legs to feel ready again. When I do legs I'm sore for 3 days. UsuAlly I can't even walk normal they hurt so bad, even if I stretch constantly throughout the days. So I guess some people recover quicker, some people recover slower, everyone's diet is different, everyone's body is different. There's too many variables to determine what's good or bad advice. It's whatever works for you.

I used to get that way too with my legs. However, with stronglifts (and of course I am starting a lil light), i squat 5x5 mwf and as I said adding 5lbs a day... and now my legs really dont get sore. I used to get so sore I had to aim and fall onto the toilet cuz I couldnt sit ROFL...gettin up was a struggle.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

How much do you squat. 7 times a week is straight retard mode. How is that bad advice. Let your muscles recover and repair before training them again directly the next day...

And how much do you dl?

Edited by Jaslater

How much do you squat. 7 times a week is straight retard mode. How is that bad advice. Let your muscles recover and repair before training them again directly the next day...

And how much do you dl?

Not to get in on this argument though I guess I am lol... and not a fitness professional myself so maybe unfounded....but I agree squatting 7 days a week seems insane and over the top. Resting isn't a bad thing. I mean people who train pretty regularly say that even stronglifts 5x5 volume of squatting 5x5 3 times a week is a lot. 

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Most routines just have you squatting once a week. 7 times a week heavy would be such a heavy load on your cns. He obviously doesn't squat heavy because it's just not doable. There would be very minimal strength and size gains with that much load as well.....

And how much do you dl?

DL is 440 max, 405 x8 and 374x14 were my best though. I squat over 92% max everyday and then normally do a few back off sets. My max squat is 363 in competition so it was to proper depth certified. I've squatted 350 for a daily max the last 4 days in a row. 🙂 hit a 280 fs pr yesterday as well.

Most routines just have you squatting once a week. 7 times a week heavy would be such a heavy load on your cns. He obviously doesn't squat heavy because it's just not doable. There would be very minimal strength and size gains with that much load as well.....

Yeah 363 is just lightweight. Also, I squat ATG on the daily, none of those half squats. So 363 ATG max.