Sign in to follow this  

What's the worst handling bike you've ever ridden?

I want to hear your stories. here's mine:

In high school a friend let me do maintenance on a newly acquired Bultaco motocross bike. I don't remember if it was a 250 or 360. I got it running then took it for a spin down some dirt roads (in 3rd or 4th gear). I thought "yeah this is a Bultaco, it's got to handle well, it's a well known motocross bike". wrong. the road quickly turned off to the right and the bike just would not turn! crap! I hit some mounds off to the side that BMXers had made for jumps and went end over end. Luckily I didn't break my bones or his motorcycle. I turned it over to him and never tried another Bultaco again.

all I can say that Jim Pomeroy was the best pro ever to do as well as he did on those bikes.

Its really hard to say because back years ago the only suspensions we knew were crappy, so we rode them and compensated without knowing that years later suspension technology would evolve.  My Kawasaki H1 was an evil handling beast, and with drum brakes both ends it didn't want to stop.  My Z1, once I went with the full Yoshimura motor was pretty bad, the power was way too much for a stock frame, even gusseted, sold it to a guy that put the motor in a 3 wheel sand dragster.  My MX360 was pretty bad once you got going on rough stuff, but like I said you just compensated because that's just the way it was.  My XR500 was pretty bad, sat real high and heavy, those early monoshocks still didn't have all the bugs worked out.

• Like 1

If we are talking any bike, then it would be a 1980 CBX1000 six-cyl I had in college.  Handled like it looked: engine hung out like michelle obamas hips, forks looked like they came off an XR100, bike tall enuff to fit Andre The Giant.  But in a straight line, it was even faster than my brand new ZX7R!

As for the dirt, it would be an '01 520SX...engine was from heaven, chassis was from hell.  Revalved forks 3x, RaceTech worked the shock over, moved forks around, etc, but after the love/hate I gave up the ghost and sold her...best overall dirt engine I have ever owned on any bike of any year tho, out of 37yrs of bikes, bar none.  Had a shop full of bikes for whatever I was going to ride, but yet used that bike for everything from tight rocky single-track to GP-style mx tracks.  She could do it all.  As long as you did not care if she tracked herself in turns.

If we are talking any bike, then it would be a 1980 CBX1000 six-cyl I had in college.  Handled like it looked: engine hung out like michelle obamas hips, forks looked like they came off an XR100, bike tall enuff to fit Andre The Giant.  But in a straight line, it was even faster than my brand new ZX7R!

As for the dirt, it would be an '01 520SX...engine was from heaven, chassis was from hell.  Revalved forks 3x, RaceTech worked the shock over, moved forks around, etc, but after the love/hate I gave up the ghost and sold her...best overall dirt engine I have ever owned on any bike of any year tho, out of 37yrs of bikes, bar none.  Had a shop full of bikes for whatever I was going to ride, but yet used that bike for everything from tight rocky single-track to GP-style mx tracks.  She could do it all.  As long as you did not care if she tracked herself in turns.

Hey, I saw Andre the giant wrestle Rick Flair back in the 80's that is one big dude!

I rode a buddys 1982 cr-2fiddy, that thing did not turn worth a darn! I also rode a suzuki gs-1100 1982, forget it! lots of power though.

Was the GS an L model? Even then they are not bad. This is worst handling, course if you jump off an E model or a GSXR then yes.

The worst handling bike I have ever ridden was definitely a 2004 Sportster 1200 Custom. That bike is made to go straight and that is it.

Was the GS an L model? Even then they are not bad. This is worst handling, course if you jump off an E model or a GSXR then yes.

The worst handling bike I have ever ridden was definitely a 2004 Sportster 1200 Custom. That bike is made to go straight and that is it.

It was a buddy's 1982 gs-1100, not shure what model it was, but it handled badly, very heavy, slow turning, I got off of it after riding it and said no thanks!

2015 KTM 350 SXF.. gosh that bike never wanted to turn and was so rough. Our buddy had it. He sold it a few rides later and picked up a 2016 Kawasaki 450f. Much much happier. Oh. Then there's my ride on a 65 cc 2 stroke. Little light switch brought up the front wheel when I use the clutch! Now those KTM 150 2 strokes are a diff story. Excellent bike

I'd have to say it was my 1983 RM250.  Headshake was an absolute NIGHTMARE !   Also, very little low-end power, decent mid-range, & a WHOPPING top-end hit !...

...Which was about when the bars would violently start to shake, that bike really scared me !  :eek:

• Like 1

Worst ever was my 82 YZ490 but that weight 400lbs (At least it handles like it did!!). I was mostly a Honda rider and suffered through many years of dangerous head shake and super harsh forks. We ride bikes better than what the factory guys had back in the 80's and 90's so in my opinion there is really no bad bikes today.

Never rode a TM because I was warned not to. Did ride a 76 CR125. Went from 1hp to 2 to 4 to 5 to 25 over 2-3K RPM range or so (probably 8-11K) and then back to 2HP.

As for DR88's 350 SXF sucking it could be accurate or just an opinion. That said my 03 YZ450 tried to kill me. Much happier on my 08,12, and 15 Yammi 2 strokes.

ha!

well the bad ones make us appreciate the good ones.

most street bikes are ill-handling so I should of asked just about dirt bikes.

• Like 1