Sign in to follow this  

Kx250f cam wont spin freely

So i was rebuilding this bike and without the cam chain installed and the head completely off the bike, cams installed after tightening the cam caps, checking valve clearance the intake cam is dragging, its quite hard to spin by hand, should i clean the cam journals up with something, run it the way it is?

I have the flywheel dead on the second mark on the right, look at the lobes, they arent facing opposite intakes down more...can you tell? I ordered this head and cams off ebay from a reputable company. The dots line up perfectly by the way amd the piston is a tdc.....im so stumped on this thing. I have fire, fuel, new clyinder an piston installed correctly per the manual, i can so much as a pop. Is the intake cam opening the valves at the wrong time but not hitting the piston because its from a 450 or something please look at the direction of the lobes

1453666091635.jpg

I just noticed the circle on the gear isnt lined up with the lobes. The dots on the cam are perfect on the head and second knotch on flywheel so i was sold a bad cam!!!!???? The circles are right the lobe is pointing down

1453672515737.jpg

Can't see from your first picture how those are lined up. Your last photo looks perfect. If the lobes aren't right (10 & 2, see photo below), then maybe the cam lobe is spun on the shaft. Order OEM and move on, then try to get your money back?

post-381613-0-73280700-1453673091.jpg

10-and-2-Cams.jpg

Saw that. Didn't look right, but from the top down it's hard to tell.

QUESTION: Did it look right before you tried to start it? Torque it wrong and you can spin it yourself when you go to start it. Cam caps are in inch-pounds, not foot pounds. Get that wrong and you could have bigger problems.

Edited by LSHD

Seems like i should have noticed it, maybe it spun more maybe not, it was definitely messed up prior to buying it, i can see it in the orginal ebay pic now. The circle on the gear and the lobes dont line up. Ill have to get another cam gear

Get another cam not another gear. Unless you have confidence your source will press it on in the correct time. Id even go as far as a tac weld so the sprockets will never spin. Ever. Cheap and eaay to do. Someone who welds often and knows metals will breeze right through it. Or theres just getting a new cam and leaving it. Ive never had a spun cam gear but have had welds for years. But the majority of people dont have welded cam gears and have had no issues. But a little weld dot is it. Next time you do your valves get a little zap smaller than a skittle. Cam will last on time.

• Like 1

Had this same problem. Gear slipped on can. I read the fix is new or simply heat gear re-align with holes and weld in place.. Did mine that way and bike has been great ever since....

The ebayer was "damaged goods global".. Of course they have a "i know nothing attitude" the before purchase photos show thw cam isnt lined up with the hole in the gear...anyway i moved on, bought a new gear from partzilla, all shops wanted 40 to weld it it was 88 new. Thanks for the help much appreciated!

• Like 1

O and they said mininmal wear ready to use and bolt on etc etc etc. They obviously made the mistake this time... Pay close attention to those ebay photos!!!