Sign in to follow this  

Steel frame yz250 swingarm swap

I have been doing some research on the 2009 and up 250f/450f swingarm swaps onto the yz. All of the info out is for the aluminum frame bikes (at least that's what I found). I understand the basics about the swap like the difference between the 250 and 450 swingarm length, what linkage would be needed, and the axle change for the lighter 09 hub.  My question is about doing the swap on a steel frame bike.  Will this swap still change the leverage ratio of the rear suspension?  Or is just going to be a weight savings and rigidity upgrade. I would only bother with the swap if it does change the ratio, like it does on the aluminum bikes, because just the weight savings is not really worth it to me. So I am searching for an answer. I have seen some posts how people think that the swap is not really worth the money but I will be taking my time and only buying parts when they are super cheap.  I have already done a full SSS swap and machined some 2011 23mm yz450f clamps.  I enjoy making these types of modifications to my bike so the money spent is not really a problem to me. 

I've wanted to do it, but don't have the money/time. Please post your experience and a review if you go through with it.

I believe the biggest hurdle will be the swingarm pivot. At one point (2002?) the swinarm pivot bolt increased in diameter, which means you have to replace or machine open the collars that are pressed into the engine cases, and open up the matching holes in the frame.

And the leverage ratio will be different, as the pick-up point on the swingarm is lower on the 2009 & up swingarm. I'm not sure how that will affect your bike, or if different links can be used to tune the ratio.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop with what you do. 👍