winter jetting xr4 tm36 pumper

run 130/15 in summer,how high do i go for 0 degrees on the ice? Starting hard now that its 30 or below,was fine in hotter weather. Kicked til i almost dropped last week..........started and ran fine once running,but popped every other kick cold,with idle turned up,wouldnt quite catch when trying to start in frigid temps,carb is clean

Turn the fuel screw out about half turn and see what that does for starting. You can also make the pumper start spraying a little earlier and stay on a little longer to fatten it up without much fuss. Count the turns on the "off" adjustment screw or put a little reference mark somewhere so you can put it back real easy. It takes a super tiny hex key (allen wrench, whatever) for the long set screw on the off adjustment.

I'm at 3600 ft. and run the 130/15 jetting all around, and I've never had any indication from the engine it needed changing for colder weather. Maybe tweak of the fuel screw but that's it. It seems more susceptible to elevation change.

At 600 feet, you should probably be running the 17.5 pilot.

What are your intake and exhaust mods?

Edited by Trailryder42

gordons mods,exhaust welds ground out, have 17.5 thru 25 pilots and up to 140 mains in garage,will see what works,going to 20 pilot and 135 main for starters,riding on lake sat. morning,will know then! Dont want to play with jetting at lake,too old and wimpy,LOL if too rich on bottom can lean a little there with fuel screw.

Edited by firstplacephoto

well,not so good!!! Let it sit on trailer in cold wind for 3 hours of ice fishing,til late enough not to piss people off. Kicked over slowly and it wouldn't start,not even close! Have heavier weight rotella t 15/40 oil in it now. Will rotella t6 5/40 oil let it kick easier in cold weather??? Gotta go shovel and sand before the game,Go Patriots!

I wouldn't run a 5wt in it. The lightest I would recommend is a 10wt.

How cold of weather are you talking about?

I've had mine camping in Colorado, get up in the morning and everything is covered in frost. Even with the bike jetted primo, it's a takes more to get it going when it's that cold.

Do the normal cold start routine of turning the engine over several times with the decomp lever pulled and choke actuated. If it doesn't want to fire off with doing that a few times, turn the choke off and wick the throttle a time or two to shoot raw fuel into the carb throat, kick from TDC.

Unlike the stock carb, in this instance, you can wick the throttle at the bottom of your kick and the engine will respond.