Sign in to follow this  

Interesting shock stacks

Not going to say where or who but I got this shock stack from somebody and it looks very interesting. My questions are because I want to fool around with it. But this stack uses the stock shock piston. I have a RT gold valve and a RSV. And the rider this stack was for is a 185lb B rider. I am a 225lb C rider. So my question is if I want to fool around with this stack what adjustments would you guys recommend for me since I have a RSV, Gold valve and I weigh more.

Shock Compression:

Piston

44x.20(2)

32x.10(2)

44x.20(4)

32x.15

36x.15

44x.30

42x.30

40x.30

38x.25

36x.25

34x.25

32x.25

30x.25

28x.25

26x.25

24x.30(2)

Plate

Shock Rebound:

Piston

40x.30

32x.10(2)

40x.30(4)

38x.30

36x.30

34x.30

32x.30

31x.30

30x.30

29x.30

28x.30

24x.30

Plate

And he also puts shims in between the shock shaft and the clevis, whats the purpose of that?

14x.25(4)

14x.15

Looks like an SPI setup. 

You need a stock piston if you want to try it.  I ran it on Restackor, it should work pretty good depending on your application.

Shimming the shaft/clevis raises the rear of the bike without messing with sag or linkage curves.

I have the gold valve but was told it flows about the same. He also drills out the shock exchange, what's that?

Id like to see dyno force numbers on that, but the setup is contingent on using the spi fluids as well. So if you are using spec; better get the full monty for accuracy.

I have ordered the fluid. Ok I asked him the piston exchamge is the compressiom adjuster piston.

I have ordered the fluid. Ok I asked him the piston exchamge is the compressiom adjuster piston.

Not going to say where or who but I got this shock stack from somebody and it looks very interesting. My questions are because I want to fool around with it. But this stack uses the stock shock piston. I have a RT gold valve and a RSV. And the rider this stack was for is a 185lb B rider. I am a 225lb C rider. So my question is if I want to fool around with this stack what adjustments would you guys recommend for me since I have a RSV, Gold valve and I weigh more.

Shock Compression:

Piston

44x.20(2)

32x.10(2)

44x.20(4)

32x.15

36x.15

44x.30

42x.30

40x.30

38x.25

36x.25

34x.25

32x.25

30x.25

28x.25

26x.25

24x.30(2)

Plate

Shock Rebound:

Piston

40x.30

32x.10(2)

40x.30(4)

38x.30

36x.30

34x.30

32x.30

31x.30

30x.30

29x.30

28x.30

24x.30

Plate

And he also puts shims in between the shock shaft and the clevis, whats the purpose of that?

14x.25(4)

14x.15

What bike??? Strange indeed...

2013 kx450f. He uses the stock piston but you really think piston would make that much of a difference where that stack would be totally off? Have to see if I can find my stock piston.

Absolutely. The changes are made to work with the fluid, and the hsc mod. I would give it a shot. You could do a comparision at service interval, but you would need to undo the hsc mod and clevis shimming to optimize race tech spec. Kind of a cool deal to see what you like better.

I may try it after my race Sunday I'm so waiting on a medium FC HSC spring too. Can't find my stock piston tho argh so have to use hold valve or unless I but the PC works piston

Edited by pavetim

Yes the compression adjuster piston is the one he drills

I'll try it after this weekend but from what I have read the stock Pistons have smaller ports therefore higher velocity therefore more sampling via port size. Plus my weight I'll try adding two more face shim in the LSC and HSC or think that's too much?

Edited by pavetim

Hard to say really I would try one extra shim only

Whats the benefits with a three stage stack?!

Can one roughly saw that each stack affects one area? Low, mid and Hs?

No sadly all stacks have big interaction between low and hs stacks , I had a 3 stage once that clicked showed to act the same as a single stage stack

Well I plotted this in restackor and it looks way smoother than my current stack, has less dampening force so I'll have to add shims but smoother especially the shocks base valve, what a difference in the plot. One question on the crossover, the 32 and 36 does that look right just making sure it's not supposed to be 36 then 32? I have seen double crossovers before but never seen different diameters stacked together. What would be the reasoning behind different diameter crossovers?