Sign in to follow this  

CRF250r lowering. Any suggestions

Curious to see if anyone has lowered a crf250r. I want to do it right. 

Here is where i am at. I am 5'8 200lbs but have short legs. So sitting on the bike i am on the tips of my toes. I need to come down about an 1" to 1.5"  

I do not want to simply crank out a bunch of preload. from my springs as some have recommended. I have my sag set perfectly. I know if i lower i will have to readjust. What i am asking is has anyone had real success with this without messing up handling? What steps have you taken or parts did you buy?

I lowered my X 1.5 inches via a Kouba link in the rear and shortening the front forks by adding a rebound spacer and relocating the spring perch. Only loss is 1.5" of suspension travel which is OK for trail riding, and less ground clearance which means more skid plate contacts than with my XR.  You need to get the sags correct to retain steering geometry.

• Like 1

And you could look at shaving down the seat a bit but really as posted above

Its funny you say to shave the seat. right after i posted this topic i did just that. It seemed to give me enough to be more comfortable.

However i do not recommend anyone who has not done this before to attempt it as it is not easy to shape the foam if you do not have the proper tools. It requires a rough cut and then some shaping and stretching the cover to to the new seat shape. If you are going to attempt this make sure you have access to an upholstery stapler(strong enough to go into the plastic base) and either a drum or belt sander and you will need a light touch to re curve and reshape the seat. Then a manual sanding block to finish your shaping.

I figured i would throw that in there so someone reading this doesn't just hack up the seat and hate us for the suggestion.

i attached a pic of the finished seat

.20160122_004520_resized.jpg

IMO you did an excellent job there my friend 👍

I have never personally done this but I do have access to the right tools as you posted so for me it be something I would try first cus for me it would be cheap. Then you could still but on the lowering link if you needed more.

With that said a buddy did not want to do his seat on his 250x and I helped him put a lowering link (not sure what make or the $$$) but it pretty easy to install can gave him the extra lowering he needed.

At least there are a couple of options for those with short legs 🙂

Its funny you say to shave the seat. right after i posted this topic i did just that. It seemed to give me enough to be more comfortable.

However i do not recommend anyone who has not done this before to attempt it as it is not easy to shape the foam if you do not have the proper tools. It requires a rough cut and then some shaping and stretching the cover to to the new seat shape. If you are going to attempt this make sure you have access to an upholstery stapler(strong enough to go into the plastic base) and either a drum or belt sander and you will need a light touch to re curve and reshape the seat. Then a manual sanding block to finish your shaping.

I figured i would throw that in there so someone reading this doesn't just hack up the seat and hate us for the suggestion.

i attached a pic of the finished seat. Looks like my seat, I believe I shaved mine 1 3/4", didn't want to give any suspension travel. Is a harder ride if you sit down, I ride standing most of the time.

.📎20160122_004520_resized.jpg

I had my 08 lowered 1" internally when getting the suspension revalved and shaved down the seat (looks OEM).

Here in Latvia for winter ice or snow track riding on tyres without studs we are lovering bikes for lower center of gravity. Some use lowering links and some (like me) shorten shock by replacing top out plate with thicker sides. In picture on rigth is stock plate and on left is selfmade. ratio for rear wheel is around 1:3

By shortening shock you loose stroke but anyway already on normal length shock rear wheel touches fender when shock goes full stroke. With lowering link then you will loose fender 🙂 And in picture is my winter bike CRF250 '06 with lowered rear and 19" front wheel

20160126-165509.sized.jpg

20160126-172454.sized.jpg

• Like 1