Sign in to follow this  

Good buy?

Would this be easy to fix?I know very little about bikes. Yeah I'm the same guy that wondered if the 250F was too much.Probably gonna get flamed but bought the wife a 230 and I hate riding it. So now I'm wanting to go back to the 250F and practice more.

Screenshot_2016-01-21-10-55-46.png

Pretty darn easy fix, i bought my 04 yz450f it would start up and shoot flames because it was way lean! Installed  was a moose fuel screw on the bottom of the carb and i would just richen up the fuel by twisting it counter clockwise i believe and it stopped flaming and hardly popped on decel. these bikes are 5 valve so a little popping on decel is just fine.

Edited by 2 STROKERZZ

Thanks for the reply and help. I'm a complete noob when it comes to dirt bikes. When I saw this pop up I figured it was too good to be true and to fix it would be costly. So you think an amateur like me can fix this? Don't get me wrong I'm one heck of a YouTube expert at fixing things.

Plus all the same YZs are going for 1k more.

As with any used bike (race bike I might add), buyer beware.

Sometimes you have to think, if it was such an easy fix,

why wouldn't the owner have done it before hand and try to sell a better running bike which would be worth more.

OK you say 2 stroke I was looking at this listing http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/5414590963.html

My question is the whole rebuild thing. Is it bad to buy a 2 stroke that has a rebuilt motor. I will be riding with my kids on flat dirt roads. How often will I have to rebuild a motor and could a beginner be able to do a rebuild?

your going to get about 40hrs on the top end at least that what iv got and just recently I rebuilt my kx250 top end super easy I can pick up a whole top end kit with rings gaskets ect for $145 on rocky mountain atv

thats a sick 05 yz250! i would take that over the 250f!!! as said above maint. should be a breeze on a 2 stroke. i think a top end should last a little longer than 40hrs. depending how hard you push the bike. some people get around 60-80 hrs on a top end.

Well with me being a complete beginner my wife thinks 2 strokes are widow makers. That poewrband has got a bad rap with her.

Edited by bmbattista2008

OK you say 2 stroke I was looking at this listing http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/5414590963.html

My question is the whole rebuild thing. Is it bad to buy a 2 stroke that has a rebuilt motor. I will be riding with my kids on flat dirt roads. How often will I have to rebuild a motor and could a beginner be able to do a rebuild?

Actually, 'rebuilt' is more desirable. Top ends are considered a wear item on 2 strokes, like brakes and tires. Problem is, they're all rebuilt, according to the sellers. And unless they have receipts and pics, they're lying. And if they use the word 'rebuilt', I probably wouldn't believe them haha.

And your wife's opinion on power band? Tell her the bike only goes as fast as your right hand.

BTW what are "fresh bearings?" Which bearings? Crank? Swing arm? Wheel? If he means crank bearings, that doesn't qualify as a "rebuild" IMO.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

Well with me being a complete beginner my wife thinks 2 strokes are widow makers. That poewrband has got a bad rap with her.

I also would suggest a 2 stroke 250. Throw a Steahly flywheel weight on and it really tames the bike big time. Also can play with timing to help take the hit away. I had an 02 YZ250 with both and it was a great trail bike. Tons of power but only when you asked. With the fww it was like a tractor. Slow tech stuff was much more manageable. Still no 4t tractor but great. I wish I hadn't sold it. 

If you find an kawi 200-250 kdx take a peak at them. I fixed a friends bike and rode it around and it was very torquey. 

• Like 1