Sign in to follow this  

Advice for buying a new KTM or used

hey guys,

im looking to buy a ktm either a 500exc or a 690 endure r.

no im looking for some pros and cons.

my riding will consist of commuting when weather is good or not lol. maybe 20 miles one way to work and if I feel like going off road I can. im new to all of this and I want to change my tires to supermoto but be able to switch my tires to dirt if I want to. now im hearing different things about the 690 to the 500. which do you think will be the better fit?

Those are very different bikes. If you want performance off road and you're willing to sacrifice streetability for it, then the 500 is the answer. If you want super moto or primarily street use then maybe some of the super moto guys can chime in with tips.

• Like 1

IMHO I think the 500 would be your best bet. But I would also suggest getting a more comfortable seat by seat concepts or some other brand if you are commuting that much

Those are very different bikes. If you want performance off road and you're willing to sacrifice streetability for it, then the 500 is the answer. If you want super moto or primarily street use then maybe some of the super moto guys can chime in with tips.

im also looking to be able to go offroad or do stupid things with it with supermoto tires. are they relatively easy to change out?

In my opinion, you want the 690.  I have a 500 that I was planning on running on the street too, no way in hell would I use it as a commuter.  I have since been strictly racing it.  This is a serious race bike, and no way would I be wasting it's life by running it on the road. Get the 690 if you want a bike for commuting, the 500 should only be in the dirt, with short stints on the road connecting trails if need be.  

• Like 4

As others have stated you could ride the 500 on the street but it really only shines in the dirt unless you go full Supermoto.  Think of the 500 as a dirtbike that happens to come with a plate from the factory, depends on what type of off road riding you plan on doing?  The 690 will likely be better on the street for longer runs due to the bigger motor but when the trails get tough or tight the extra weight and girth will hold it back.

If you buy a spare wheel set and mount up tires swapping should only take about 10 minutes front and rear. 

But neither one will shine unless they have dirt tired off road? Is what I'm understanding I won't be going crazy off road at first but I'm sure I'll want to. What does full supermoto consist of just wheel change and spacers right and bearings

If you're talking any extended highway time the 690 is where you should be looking....

The 500 is way better suited for the street even in SM trim

But neither one will shine unless they have dirt tired off road? Is what I'm understanding I won't be going crazy off road at first but I'm sure I'll want to. What does full supermoto consist of just wheel change and spacers right and bearings

Most full supermoto setups run slightly shortened suspension and oversized brakes too, especially in the front.

Cheapest route would be two sets of wheels/tires and just swap them leaving the rest of the setup alone.

I went with having bolth sets of rim/tires sets. I run 14/50 dirt & 14/45 SM so I have to have two chains. The other change I made was put 320 brake roter on dirt setup to speed changeout on 500 exc