Sign in to follow this  

2 Penguinos in Baja Norte/SF Area - March 2016

Hey all,

Thought I'd throw this up here and see who else will be in Baja Norte and the likes. Been going for a few years now and this year I'll be travelling with a pretty good friend who's coming down for his first taste of desert riding, :D

Bikes:

- 08 450 EXC essentially loaded... it's been tweaked over the years to be my perfect bike in Baja.

24L tank for 220 mile range

Hard parts galore

15/48 gearing for some shred

908's (there-and-backs)

A lot of lights... More than necessary. BD headlight and a cyclops light bar.

20160113_214422_zpslgo1vlq0.jpg

- 15 690 Enduro - Mostly prepped, around the same fuel range, plenty of hard parts in the right areas. It'll be the first desert test for the 690, but we're bringing plenty of spares.

Gimme a shout out if you'll be in the area and if you wanna do some trails or riding. The first few days we're down there will tell me more about how he's going to handle the sand and whoops (yay whoops!) and then we can plan more around that as to whether we want to go to Mike's or Erendira or further south to Coco's or something.

Cheers!

Joe

• Like 1

I might be able to squeeze in a couple days. I only live 6 hrs. From there.

Interesting place to put your master link clip.  

I'm not sure I follow... It's on the inside of the chain so you can't actually see it in the pic... lol! The spot where it is on the other side is clean though so you can tell which link it's on.

I might be able to squeeze in a couple days. I only live 6 hrs. From there.

Awesome! If I had it my way I'd ride with you guys next month too, but with work constraints and my buddies short time off we had to plan for middle of March. We can sort something out closer to my time there. Where you living now? West coast? I might have an SF to Erendira trek planned...

Edited by kaptinkaos

I'm not sure I follow... It's on the inside of the chain so you can't actually see it in the pic... lol! The spot where it is on the other side is clean though so you can tell which link it's on.

Clicked on the pic and saw your other pics in the gallery...including your clip on the inside.  Thought about doing that but scratching my head on how you seat the clip.

Ah! Smarter with a computer than I am, haha! I was like... how did he know that?

It's actually pretty easy to seat the clip. When you go to do it, just make sure you pick a spot on the sprocket where there aren't spokes in your way and line up where you'll have the master link there. That way your chain breaker tool (I use an MSR) will fit on properly. You'll need pretty long needle nose pliers to get the actual clip on unless you can contort your wrists somehow to get in that tight spot, lol! I use an $8 dollar set of 18" needle nose pliers I picked up from Princess Auto. Sometimes the cheap tools are the ones that do the most ridiculous jobs.

Cheers!

Gonna try that when I start prepping my bike for Baja during March (new drive line).  I use the mini chain press to clamp everything together, then take off and tap clip on. 

Clicked on the pic and saw your other pics in the gallery...including your clip on the inside. Thought about doing that but scratching my head on how you seat the clip.

I think trials riders used to do that

ok kaptin, i'll bite. Why do you put the clip on the inside? I've been riding 40 odd years with my clip on the outside, yes I have worn out quite a few clips in that time, but I'm pretty sure it's been from rubbing on the chain guide which is present on both sides of the chain. so I must be missing something, cause your taking the longer harder route to install a master link as far as I can see right now?

what are your dates in march?

As of right now it looks like we'll leave Canada on the 6th and cross into Baja at Mexicali on the 8th. We'll be there for 2 weeks (unless lady luck is a devil) and cross back to the US at Mexicali on the 22nd.

ok kaptin, i'll bite. Why do you put the clip on the inside? I've been riding 40 odd years with my clip on the outside, yes I have worn out quite a few clips in that time, but I'm pretty sure it's been from rubbing on the chain guide which is present on both sides of the chain. so I must be missing something, cause your taking the longer harder route to install a master link as far as I can see right now?

I put the clip on the inside because I've managed over the years to knock a clip off somehow having it on the outside. You gotta be riding some really nasty tall rock stuff to hit your chain that way though, lol! I'm not sure the wear on the clip is any different though. I always pack a couple spare master clip links just in case though. I usually get quite a few miles out of the DID Zring chains I use, maybe in the range of 3000-4000 miles depending on how much mud I see in that time. The longer, harder route to installing a clip link is really only a few extra minutes and could save you a long ass walk out of the desert. 😉

ok, that makes sense now. I just may try the clip on the inside soon. I'm also the guy that carries spares of parts that will leave you with a long walk in dirtbike boots! my buddies and I have done big Baja loops of 2500-3000 km over 10 or 12 days for about the last 15 years. we travel without a support truck, so it's imperative to have and be able to "fix on the fly" with what ever comes up or falls or shakes  off.

ok, that makes sense now. I just may try the clip on the inside soon. I'm also the guy that carries spares of parts that will leave you with a long walk in dirtbike boots! my buddies and I have done big Baja loops of 2500-3000 km over 10 or 12 days for about the last 15 years. we travel without a support truck, so it's imperative to have and be able to "fix on the fly" with what ever comes up or falls or shakes  off.

No support truck for me either. I haven't done a big loop yet as I haven't found the right guy/group to do one with, but eventually I will. Baja has a way of showing riders up, lol! I'd love to do a 5 and 3 or something. 5 days down the east side to Cabo and 3 up the west side using some pavement to expedite the ride back up. For now I am completely content riding some familiar ground around SF though and possibly, once I get my buddy into sand mode, do an SF to Mikes to Erendira and back rip. 

I'm actually in discussions now with another SoCal guy I ride with who's interested in doing Baja Rally... I just need a roadbook and ICO, 🙂

kaos don' t try to do cabo and back to felipe in 8 day's , you will hate life after that, and see nothing but blurred images of some really cool places. Take Baja in bite size chunks, it really is worth it!  we do a 10 12 day loop from sf and we usually only get down to mulege and then have to turn back and come back north to felipe 

here's a few teasers

day 1 felipe to peurtocitoes, rockman trail  up and over to cativinia

day 2 cativinia camper shell trail down to hook up with the 22 day trail into san borja mission and on to bay of LA.

day3 bay of LA. south to san fransisquito, pick up the no wimps down the east coast out at tre virgins area and into san Ignacio for the nite. this is a  long day and you need to plan your gas> san franisquito or the Escondido ranch south of there.

day 4 san Ignacio down the west coast east through el patrircino/el salto up and over gudalupe area and down into mulege.

day 5-off, rest, bum around, eat drink and rub sauve on your ass and any other wounds you have picked up.

day 6,lets go again- either up to Guadalupe and down to santa rosalia on the east coast and slab it to san Ignacio,or go over to san janicico and up to san Ignacio on the west side.

day 7 san Ignacio  up to visciano and then east ward through the cool sand roads of the visciano desert to san fancisquito and on to bay of La for the nite.

day 8- day off- rest eat ,rub and repeat

day9- BOLA up the window rock trail to el crucero,rt turn up the calumajue wash to cocco's corner rt turn again up the mine trail to Gonzaga, and then the dreaded slab ride back to felipe

I always try to plan and have 1 day that's free as a make up,rest, heal, repair, or catch up to what ever you need to catch up with as a lot can and sometimes does happen when your doing a loop of this size/duration.

Edited by cactusreid
  • Like 2

just wanted to add a caution as well- some of these routes have been blown to chit by the last few storms and hurricanes, so pass-abilty and travel times may have been altered a whole bunch from the last time I've been through. do your own research folks and pack a jacket, a few granola bars and a few extra liters of H2O.

• Like 1

kaos don' t try to do cabo and back to felipe in 8 day's , you will hate life after that, and see nothing but blurred images of some really cool places. Take Baja in bite size chunks, it really is worth it!  we do a 10 12 day loop from sf and we usually only get down to mulege and then have to turn back and come back north to felipe 

here's a few teasers

day 1 felipe to peurtocitoes, rockman trail  up and over to cativinia

day 2 cativinia camper shell trail down to hook up with the 22 day trail into san borja mission and on to bay of LA.

day3 bay of LA. south to san fransisquito, pick up the no wimps down the east coast out at tre virgins area and into san Ignacio for the nite. this is a  long day and you need to plan your gas> san franisquito or the Escondido ranch south of there.

day 4 san Ignacio down the west coast east through el patrircino/el salto up and over gudalupe area and down into mulege.

day 5-off, rest, bum around, eat drink and rub sauve on your ass and any other wounds you have picked up.

day 6,lets go again- either up to Guadalupe and down to santa rosalia on the east coast and slab it to san Ignacio,or go over to san janicico and up to san Ignacio on the west side.

day 7 san Ignacio  up to visciano and then east ward through the cool sand roads of the visciano desert to san fancisquito and on to bay of La for the nite.

day 8- day off- rest eat ,rub and repeat

day9- BOLA up the window rock trail to el crucero,rt turn up the calumajue wash to cocco's corner rt turn again up the mine trail to Gonzaga, and then the dreaded slab ride back to felipe

I always try to plan and have 1 day that's free as a make up,rest, heal, repair, or catch up to what ever you need to catch up with as a lot can and sometimes does happen when your doing a loop of this size/duration.

Lol, I don't think I would hate life after that. A 500 mile day is the kind of cravings I get which is why I drive 3000 miles from Canada to do it. I've done big days... hard days... days that make people cringe, and frankly I love them! Yes, definitely not for everyone, but even when I'm day looping I feel like 250-300 miles is the average for me when taking it easy. I've had plenty of trips of day after day of 200-300 mile fun, but I dearly DO want to do a rip to the tip in that fashion. Maybe a 6 and 4 or a 6 and 3 even, but the local guys I've ridden with and some racer dudes I know do a 5 & 3 on occaision. I don't race mostly because I don't care to win or compete, and I don't think I'm particularly fast, but I know what I'm capable of and a 5 & 3 is within my scope. I just need to find someone else crazy enough, fast enough and trustworthy enough to do it with me.

I've been biting Baja off in chunks over the last few years and am satisfied with my bike prep, riding ability, local resourcefulness, physical ability and mental capacity. The idea of a 5 & 3 is the next step for me logically as I've had a few years of 2 weeks riding solid with similar distances to the route you posted. This year is going to be VERY relaxed though. I will have a guy with me who has NO sand experience. Helluva good rider, damn good guy all around and the only guy I've ridden with in the last few years who the same amount of "I give up, it's too hard" as I do... which is none. I don't plan on horsewhipping him though and it will be day by day to see how he handles the sand, the speeds, the distances and literally, Baja itself. Murphy's law is strong down there... LOL! Plus, I've never had or ridden a 690 down there. Seems awfully heavy to me and I didn't personally prep it. I've steered him in the right direction and gotten him to do the required hard parts upgrades, but I have in the past thought a buddies bike was ready before... It became a "let's fix your wr450 before we go riding everyday" thing.

just wanted to add a caution as well- some of these routes have been blown to chit by the last few storms and hurricanes, so pass-abilty and travel times may have been altered a whole bunch from the last time I've been through. do your own research folks and pack a jacket, a few granola bars and a few extra liters of H2O.

Yeah... I'm really interested to see how it has transformed the SF area. There's a few section of the different race courses there (Ram's Head, Huatamoto, Izufre, etc) that could have been returned to almost virgin quality that were REALLY softened up and deep before. I'm excited to see how much the grass has grown on the west side of that range too! Plus... I miss Jose and his beer stand out on the lake bed. That's the first place I'm taking my newb to desert buddy, :D

Absolutely a few things I pack when riding alongside a tool kit that I can fix basically anything on the bike with except a catastrophic engine failure. Hoody and/or windbreaker, couple of snack bars or something to eat, 3L or more water, space blanket in case you get to sleep under the stars, and GPS with E32 + Baja Almanac. Local knowledge is prime so get to know the dudes that ride the areas you go to. Like... buy them beers and dinner on the Malacon, not email them.

Edited by kaptinkaos

This great advice,always have plan two.Two weeks ago,this for us.It changed in 1 week of rain.IMG_1377.JPGIMG_1387.JPG

kapt'n not being insulting. but a 500 mile day in Baja is  a pretty big day, unless your just blasting down a big wide road at 70 mph.  Try riding

from bay of la. down the east coast  to the t intersection at san fran siquito ( spelling) and then onto ,  the no wimps trail to san Ignacio,have lunch and be back in bay of LA at costa del sol ,for veronicas,fabulous supper seafood smorgasboard at 6 or 7 pm on the same day which the round trip is about 435 miles

, and I will believe, you can do a 500 mile day in Baja that has some substance to it. or leave bay of LA do the complete window rock trail, rt turn onto the calumege wash up to cocos corner, up freds tractor trail to catavinia, then do the bill Nichols hoodoo trail out to the west coast and end your day at supper time in el Rosario on the west coast.

now change your miles to km's  as they are displayed in Baja, and we can and will take credence in your stories.

some of the guy's I ride with around here are also hard core Baja veterans who can and  have done  big days like this.

my buddy Shaun drug a group of pretty damn good riders around  Baja a few years ago doing 2 days of trails each and every day they rode for about 10 days in a row.

I'm 57 yr's old and a few years ago, we left guero negro at 6 am blasted up the hwy to jesus maria for breakfast at 7:30 am. then out to the beach and up through the seven sisters area, and inland to catavinia arriving at about 5;30 pm.approx 375 km for the day, everyone including the hot shots were ready for a marg and dinner.

foot note here; one of my Baja riding buddies was pretty sure he was doing 90 mph everywhere in Baja -until I showed him my gps which said 80-90 kmh average speed when I'm riding beside him. That's a long way from 90 mph any day of the week.

Edited by cactusreid