Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a trail bike

hoping I could get some answers for a question I have. I was looking to buy a dirt bike and was wondering what size/brand I should get. I have been looking for awhile now but I still cant decide. but first let me introduce myself

I am 14, 5 11'', and about 135 lbs. I currently ride a 2013 Honda Rancher 420 and enjoy it very much. its pretty quick for a utility. But I want to change it up and buy a dirt bike. I have ridden a couple play bikes such as XR80s and XR100s but besides that I am kind of unfamiliar with dirtbikes. I want something that isnt too big for me but at the same time isnt a &%$#@! bike. My old man wants to be able to ride it too. He's 40 5,11'' and about 170 lbs. He used to ride a kx125 and suggested it for me but would that have too much power? I also want something low maintenance and fairly simple. Im pretty handy with a wrench but I dont have garage where I can work on it. My buddy has an XR100 and its very reliable and low maintenance. some of the bikes I was looking at were crf150fs, 230fs and XR200s but was wondering if there were any other bikes out there that would fit my needs. I am going to be riding on wide quad trails. My budget is 1,500 

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by Rancher42013

Since you specificaly mentionned a trail bike and, from your description : 'mostly quad trails, very low maintenance, reliable etc'.

(meaning no MX style jumps or high speed riding and, no higher maintenance race bike)

all of that that rules out a motocross race bike as a potential option.

also with the rider heights of 5'11" forget a small wheeled bike.

With your limited budget and specific riding / maintenance requirements, that point more to either a CRF230F or TTR230.

Edited by mlatour

1500$ budget makes me think CRF 100f. 150f is bigger and heavier with barley any more power so it's kind of pointless. 230f gets kind of big for tight trails and the "nimble" feeling. id say get a 100f IMO. I'm 5'9 and 140lbs. I love my 100f but the only complaint I have is its SO SLOWWWW. Lol

Bro im 5'6" 120lbs 15yrs I ride a kx250 on the trails just fine if your scared about too much power stick with 125 and raise the shocks and suspension

that was the other kinda bike i was looking at. cause im not going to be racing or anything like that so i could probably just grow into it.