Sign in to follow this  

15t sprocket on an 01 250

Has anyone successfully installed a 15t front sprocket on their 00/01 250? The problem is it makes contact with that little tab that sticks out to center the chain guide. I'm thinking of filing it a little to make the clearance. Anyone try this??

1453405307590.jpg

There's nothing wrong with making a little clearance to fit thatvsprocket. Go for it.

Just in case anyone else wants to do this mod, it's pretty easy and filing down that tab doesn't cause the chain slider to move side to side as there is still enough of a hump to keep it in place. I just drilled a few small holes in it, broke them off with some pliers and filed the sharp edges . now it's like I have a 6th speed! Happy riding

1456216778979.jpg

1456216804402.jpg

1456216820815.jpg

1456216836299.jpg

1456217062488.jpg

Has anyone successfully installed a 15t front sprocket on their 00/01 250? The problem is it makes contact with that little tab that sticks out to center the chain guide. I'm thinking of filing it a little to make the clearance. Anyone try this??

Wow that's a tall counter shaft sprocket, one question are you matching with the rear sprocket ratio? You could possably run Bonniville salt flats with that ratio!

Yea pretty big i know, I have to ride on the street for a while to get the trails, so the plan is to ride 15t street and switch it up to 12t once i hit the dirt.

• Like 1

nice!

one question, now without that slider guide, does it move or the rear guides and fasteners hold it tight into place?

about the sprocket switching plan how do you overcome the chain slack issue that comes with the smaller sprocket, probably the adjusters won't be up for it and you'll have to remove some of the chain links, what are your thoughts about this, are you going to use extra removable chain links?

few thoughts because i also have the same issue 🙂

A 12 tooth is pretty low gearing. Maybe a 13 would work for you & let you get away with a simple chain adjustment.

If not, the mentioned idea of having a removable link may need to be part of the program.

• Like 1

nice!

one question, now without that slider guide, does it move or the rear guides and fasteners hold it tight into place?

about the sprocket switching plan how do you overcome the chain slack issue that comes with the smaller sprocket, probably the adjusters won't be up for it and you'll have to remove some of the chain links, what are your thoughts about this, are you going to use extra removable chain links?

few thoughts because i also have the same issue 🙂

The chain slider stays firmly in place because i didnt completely eliminate the tab. there is still a little hump and that is enough to keep the slider in place.

Regarding the chain issue, in my case i don't think there is a need to remove or add links when switching between 12t and 15t. with a 13t sprocket, my rear wheel position is just right of the center marks. with a 15t, it's closer to the left. You can see the positions in the attached photos, sorry the poor quality. I have not received the 12t sprocket yet, but with the 13t there is still plenty of room to move the wheel back so definitely this won't be a problem for me. however, if your wheel position is already on the extreme end of either the right or left side, then yes, you will either have to remove or add a link. My chain is still relatively new. once it starts to stretch i might have a problem.

13t.jpg

15t.jpg

A 12 tooth is pretty low gearing. Maybe a 13 would work for you & let you get away with a simple chain adjustment.

If not, the mentioned idea of having a removable link may need to be part of the program.

The reason i want to give the 12t a try is because even with the 13t, the low end on a 2001 cr250 is pretty crappy. for the type of riding i do i need as much low end pull as possible!

• Like 1

thanks, good to know!

yeah for trail and enduro using 12T the bike becomes a tractor combined with 49-51 rear but it will be very responsive with the throttle so be careful!

although combined with a heavier flywheel that will give more low end climbing inertia and smooth out the power, do not forget that this bike is not made for enduro or trails but full throttle track machine 😉

Edited by ByronK