Sign in to follow this  

Going to check out new 2005 KTM 125 SX

I'm going to take a look at a 2005 KTM 125 sx this weekend. I know to check out the engine and everything, but they say it runs fine and was mostly used for a trail bike. My main concern with it is at this age is the transmission. Is there any noticeable signs when the transmission is starting to fail or need rebuilding? I would like to avoid it if the transmission is going to need work. Everything else on the bike seems to be in good shape. And even if I decide I want to rebuild the top end this winter it's not a huge deal.

They are asking $1800 for it but I was thinking of going in a few hundred under that obviously.  

Although another option I was looking at was a 2012 125sx. Which was apparently bought by this guy blown up and he rebuilt it and is now selling it. Apparently it runs really well but that scares me a bit. He said it was used by the previous owner in a few hare scrambles and that was it. Should I go look at that instead being that its quite a bit newer? 

Edited by d_man

I would not worry about the trans, I would worry about the top end and crank/rod, maybe the clutch and clutch basket. Other things would be chain, sprockets, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings and suspension needing cleaning/oil and seals.

Okay thats good news. I will take a look at all of that then. 

Would you rather go look at the 05 that looks nice in pictures and was trail ridden, or the 2012 that had been blown up and rebuilt? 

depends upon price, my intended use, condition and my abilities to fix the bike.....a rebuilt blown top end can include damage to the cyl walls, rod, cases etc that may not have been repaired. You have to decide. I would see if he has receipts and if the lower end was also rebuilt on the 2012. The 05 would be fine for trails and rookie racing. The newer bike would have potentially less risk of things being worn out.