Sign in to follow this  

Drz400sm chain

Hi guys having some problems with my chain I've gone through 3 renthel chains in 3 months and changed the sprockets each time but my chain still keeps stretching and then braking is there anything else that this could be

• Like 1

Hi guys having some problems with my chain I've gone through 3 renthel chains in 3 months and changed the sprockets each time but my chain still keeps stretching and then braking is there anything else that this could be

Did you set the chain sag properly? Maybe you just have it too tight? Then all the swing arm travel is stretching it out? What have you tried so far?

I've had it set correctly not too tight or loose but as I said it's stretched 3 chains and snapped them in 3 months and I can't figure out what's going wrong those chains aren't cheap

I've had it set correctly not too tight or loose but as I said it's stretched 3 chains and snapped them in 3 months and I can't figure out what's going wrong those chains aren't cheap

If you're sure it's been set right check the chain alignment.

• Like 2

I've set it up and had a garage do it aswel following a haynes manual and it's still doing it now on chain number 4 what's going wrong

We can't help you with zero information. If you want us to guess please let me know.

I have seen this issue with low end chains, in fact my buddy is dealing with this on his RMZ. He bough a no name chain off ebay.

I use high end O ring chains and high end sprockets on my DRZ and track bikes and get very good chain life.

I do keep up with my chain maintenance including proper tension.

Chain alignment can also play a role in accelerated wear.

Edited by rraiderr

Dude, people have been trying to help. Do you have a phone? Take some pictures and use the Thumpertalk app to upload the pictures with ease.

• Like 3

Do you have

They have all been renthel chains not cheap

Do you have approximately 2 fingers work of chain slack?

What method do you use to for alignment?

Are your chain sliders and rollers in good condition?

install, adjust.

then  compress the rear suspension and be sure the chain doesn't bind up.

I'm pretty sure it does....the DRZ need a fair amount of slack (1,5-2") for it not to bind in all the suspension travel.