Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF450R Metal (Aluminum) in oil filter

Hey Guys,

Just bought a 2009 CRF450R from a guy on craigslist. The bike was clean as hell and I looked everything over and test rode the crap out of it before I bought it. He said he took very good care of it. When I got home and dropped the engine oil and transmission oil they were both pitch black with shiny metal sparkles in it  :banghead: . I pulled the engine filter to find chunks of aluminum. I attached the picture.

The chunks are not magnetic so I believe it is aluminum.

Any input as to where its coming from is appreciated.

I'm going to pull the engine this weekend and try to track down whatever it is that's breaking apart.

Thanks,

Chris

IMG_2040.JPG

Edited by chris5359

That could be any number of things including the piston. I suspect it's from the rod bearing cage which, if wasn't caught in time, would be expensive. Thankfully you can rule out any transmission parts on a Honda. You're doing the right thing by pulling the engine. If I found that much debris in my filter I'd be grateful for the warning.

New crank and bearings required. Just be thankful it didnt grenade.

• Like 1

Is that the inside of the filter or outside? (Which side do shaving like that collect on?)

Is that the inside of the filter or outside? (Which side do shaving like that collect on?)

youre joking right?

Yep, time for a rebuild. Do bottom and top and have a zero hour machine! I do it regardless, on all used bikes I buy. Still cheaper then new and sometimes better

Thats the outside

Thats the outside

Thanks. I've never seen anything on the outside of one of my filters, and people mention cutting them apart, so I was wondering.

Thanks. I've never seen anything on the outside of one of my filters, and people mention cutting them apart, so I was wondering.

it's on the outside like someone bedazzled your filter. Sort of pretty until you think about what it means.....

So I pulled the engine this weekend and good news so far. Transmission side was a broken clutch plate that got ground up in the gears (no damage to the gears). The entire top end looks perfect including the piston and rings. I found a chunk of metal that looked like part of a snap ring so that could explain the metal shavings in the filter. Working on splitting the cases tonight to find out exactly what broke but it looks like it might not be an expensive fix after all! Normally I would replace the top and bottom end but everything looks like it was rebuilt recently. Weisco piston and hot rods bottom end. Got new rings and im gonna wash everything and figure out what broke and then i should be up and running by next weekend!

Whats the best way to flush the metal out of the bearings and everything without pulling them out of the case?

Is it safe to use brake cleaner on the bearings and seals? (probably not but just wondering)

The broken clutch plate has nothing to do with the metal in your oil filter.

At the very least you need new bearings.  If it were me that just bought a used bike that I have no ideal how many hours are on it and the oil filter looked like that, I would put a new crank in it too (ieven if its one of those hot rods shitty ones lol).

The good news is your top end is clean.

Clutch debris and tranny particles would not be in your engine oil filter.. that is coming from your engine.. if it's not magnetic then it's not part of the bearings, they are steel. Aluminum wold most likely be piston, since the cylinder walls is steel and the rings produce chrome.

Copper is indicative of bottom end bearings such as crank and rod, not aluminum.

My guess would be piston, but you said it looks like new.?

Let us know what you find when you tear it all apart.

The good thing is you caught it before it came apart.

JL

So I split the cases tonight. Found a big puddle of metal which is magnetic inside the transmission side. 2 of the bearings did not spin well at all so i'm gonna put all new bearings in that side. Other than that I cant find anything wrong. I'm still unable to figure out what caused the metal in the oil filter which makes me nervous. Nothing looks worn at all. I ordered new rings for the piston but other than that I cant find anything I need to fix on that side.

So I split the cases tonight. Found a big puddle of metal which is magnetic inside the transmission side. 2 of the bearings did not spin well at all so i'm gonna put all new bearings in that side. Other than that I cant find anything wrong. I'm still unable to figure out what caused the metal in the oil filter which makes me nervous. Nothing looks worn at all. I ordered new rings for the piston but other than that I cant find anything I need to fix on that side.

Pics?

Pics?

Lots of pics somebody here might see something that you did not

Im at work so I dont have all the pictures with me. Ill take more when I get home of the top and bottom end. Attached is what I have right now. I circled the bearings that were sticky and where the puddle of metal on my finger came from. The puddle that came from inside the case was magnetic. 

IMG_2109.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2134.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

IMG_2138.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

Hmm? Catastrophic failure in a past life and previous owner put enough used parts on it to make it run and sold it?

Or did all the debris in the tranny side take out the crank seal and allow oil and metal to migrate to the engine side?

You're this far in so you might as well clean it up and replace the bearings and seals and put it back together. If you're planning to keep it and you have the $$ go ahead and put a crank in it too.

That's a possibility. I'm just gonna replace bearings and see how it runs. The bottom end looks very new with no signs of wear so I feel like I am wasting money by replacing it since there were no visible metal pieces on that side besides the ones I found in the filter. Its possible I'm going to do an inventory as I put the engine back together and see if anything has disintegrated that I am not noticing right now. I ordered a Transmission Bearing Kit, Counter Balancer Bearing Kit, and output shaft kit. 

Forgot to order a new seal kit. Also just found out i'm gonna need a special bearing puller to get the shift drum needle bearing out. Its the only one still stuck in the case  🤦