Milky white goop on dipstick

So I have a 2014 drz400sm which recently has been upgraded with a Athena big bore 440 kit and stage 2 hotcams, mrd exhaust, 3x3 airbox, k&n air filter, and a 39 mm flat slide carb. The bike has 9k miles on it and a 1k on the rebuilt motor. I did the the first oil change on the rebuilt motor at 3 hundred miles. Now I'm doing the second at 1k after draining all the old oil and putting it back together I was ready to add the new oil I found this white milky residue inside and on the dipstick. I did some research online and it can be one of three things, blown head gasket (which I doubt the bike runs strong with no smoking issue's) a leaking water pump gasket (which I find possible because how many miles the bike has on it. But there's no coolant loss it's still filled to the brim and looks new still) or it can be condensation from the oil and short rides (which I do commute back and forth to work which is under 3 miles) the oil seemed clean but after letting it sit in the pan for awhile it does have a slight brown color to it. Idk if it's from not being that old or from the problem at hand. Any help or suggestions is appreciated!

1453412147864.jpg

I ride daily to work also with 3-3.5miles and if I don't let the bikes idles for some time , stop at a gas station and let them idle, ect.. mine will get that white coating on areas also. I now let my bikes idle for longer before taking off , take the long way as often as possible and anything else that allows the motor to run longer and get up to full temp to burn the condensation off. 

Edited by jjktmrider
  • Like 2

I was getting the same on my klx....thought i have a antifreeze leak......but antifreeze was not really going down..oil was not changing colour.

I think the fact that I ride in a cooler climate ...the remote frame tank was where the condensation would collect, because that is the only place it would show up.

I even checked in the valve cover and nothing.

• Like 1

I have had a similar issue (different bike)....Did you happen to use Rotella? I changed my oil with rotella for the first time in my brand new 15' wr450 (first oil change at 100mi during break in) and instantly within next 40 miles of riding I got white lotion looking stuff gunked inside the oil fill cap.

I did ride in wet roads the day after we had a huge rain storm, but not sure how it would absorb enough water to do that, everything's tight. It wasn't raining.

I daily ride my bike for a short distance too. I changed it right away with better m/c oil and it hasn't had that gunk since.

9E7BCD2B-9132-48C7-88EC-C95BABC6A02B.jpg

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

Rotella is not some magic oil that will make water appear in your oil. Condensation is the culprit unless your losing coolant. Get it hot, it doesn't matter since its just collecting in the cool parts of the frame. It's likely that in the summertime you won't have this. I live in a cold wet area and mine has it too. My bike lives in a carport, not heated out in the cold air. It's just one of those things.

• Like 1

When I built my XT600 I had a spacer mixed up in the tranny so I had to take the motor back apart after 3 trips to work and back . The clutch cover inside was completely covered in the white/greenish goop already (Yamalube) ,that bike as a remote tank hanging off the frame back by the rear tire , it wasn't the cold tank that collected the stuff but the drained oil looked quite a bit like the photo above, so if it's caked on the dipstick chances are there is some inside the motor or around the side covers . Getting the motor good and warm , above 210-220F at least will get rid of it. Last time I had the cover off it was clean so the extra running has cured it.

Edited by jjktmrider

I have had a similar issue (different bike)....Did you happen to use Rotella? I changed my oil with rotella for the first time in my brand new 15' wr450 (first oil change at 100mi during break in) and instantly within next 40 miles of riding I got white lotion looking stuff gunked inside the oil fill cap.

I did ride in wet roads the day after we had a huge rain storm, but not sure how it would absorb enough water to do that, everything's tight. It wasn't raining.

I daily ride my bike for a short distance too. I changed it right away with better m/c oil and it hasn't had that gunk since.

9E7BCD2B-9132-48C7-88EC-C95BABC6A02B.jpg

No I've been using suzuki's oil and never had this problem before. But maybe I should put a little bit better oil in it if that's the case

Idling longer gets the temps up higher before starting out when it's cold enough outside that the motor won't get hot for a bunch of miles if at all. My air cooled bikes will only get 150-180º oil temp riding so idling is the only way to get them hot enough to burn off the water not to mention at 10ºF not that easy to do 30+ miles each day , though I try to go as far as possible.

The only thing I can/will say about any oil is that I switched to Rotella one summer in 4 bikes , 3 of them started having clutch issues , 2 of which I couldn't get into neutral without shutting down after about 500 miles and the clutch pulls got stiff and very notchy . 1 bike didn't change a thing. Once I swapped all back to the various oils I had been using in short order all 3 clutches went back to normal and are the same yet . I have heard numerous comments of the same in all bike brands.