Sign in to follow this  

Picking up a homemade go kart

Going Sunday to pickup a homemade go kart from a kid at school. Trading a pellet gun and an old psp. He says it needs a clutch and the steering shaft is bent. I'll let you guys know when I get it and some progress on the build. Have some cool ideas but not sure how many will come to life!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453414806.388190.jpg

Edited by justaskmenicley

Picked it up a little early. Anyway it's got compression and spark. I put some gas in it and tried starting it but had no luck and I smell old fuel. Don't have school tomorrow so I plan to clean the carb and see if I can get it running.

When picking it up, bend with your knees. 😉

No doubt, the carb is clogged. Most jets are removeable. Be careful you do not bend or stretch any of the tine springs.

Do not soak the carb in cleaner. Just make sure the passages are clear. If you can get the jets out, you can soak them. Worse case is you buy a new Chinese knock off carb for the engine to $30.

Do a valve clearance check too. You will need a new valve cover gasket, under $1.00

When picking it up, bend with your knees. 😉

No doubt, the carb is clogged. Most jets are removeable. Be careful you do not bend or stretch any of the tine springs.

Do not soak the carb in cleaner. Just make sure the passages are clear. If you can get the jets out, you can soak them. Worse case is you buy a new Chinese knock off carb for the engine to $30.

Do a valve clearance check too. You will need a new valve cover gasket, under $1.00

Thanks, these engines don't normally have many problems with valves. I put fresh gas in and I smell old fuel as I turn it over. Cleaned many carbs so I'm hoping this one goes well.

Thanks, these engines don't normally have many problems with valves. I put fresh gas in and I smell old fuel as I turn it over. Cleaned many carbs so I'm hoping this one goes well.

Trust me. The new OHV engines do need regular valve clearance checks and adjustments. Unlike a bike, because of the pushrod design, they get loose, this cause the push roods to get slammed and snap. Very easy to check the valves and set, you'll just need the gasket.

Trust me. The new OHV engines do need regular valve clearance checks and adjustments. Unlike a bike, because of the pushrod design, they get loose, this cause the push roods to get slammed and snap. Very easy to check the valves and set, you'll just need the gasket.

Alright. I'll look for a video this morning.

Everything was good. Drained the old gas out and it fired up. Starts first pull every time. Clutch was sticking so I took it apart and cleaned it and it works perfect now! Hit a fence and broke the steering knuckle so its at a friends house at the moment getting welded back up. Picking it up tonight or tomorrow after school. Havent got any pics of it as I destroyed my phone while it was in my pocket during a dirt bike crash yesterday. Plan to pick up an old office chair or something to make a seat as it doesn't have one. Going to wire up a kill switch this week as i'm on exam break. If anyone has any cool ideas for this thing let me know!

Lucky you it was just crappy fuel.

Do not kill your self on it. Make sure the brakes work well and are dependable.Wear a helmet. It is easy to flip a cart and get real hurt.

Lucky you it was just crappy fuel.

Do not kill your self on it. Make sure the brakes work well and are dependable.Wear a helmet. It is easy to flip a cart and get real hurt.

Brakes are really good. My mother would kill me if I didn't wear a helmet! Got the steering knuckle welded, some extensions on the bumper to avoid them breaking again and reinforced the sheet metal where the steering is mounted. Sheeted off keys on the sprocket and both wheels. Thinking about selling it for a quick flip. Nothing to loose.

A friend and I took it for a joyride Saturday and Sunday. Kept having issues with the sprocket sliding on the axle and finally it broke right off the hub. Towed it with the dirt bike down the highway a couple KM. Got the sprocket welded back into the hub and the hub into the axle. Got it home and rode for 45 mins and the clutch screwed up. My friend want to go halfsies in the kart so we're gonna split the cost for a new clutch in the spring when we have the cash.