Sign in to follow this  

Xtrainer as a single tracker

Just ordered the forks for my Xtrainer.

Waiting for the Fox shock to be released.

Was told that FMF will be releasing Xtrainer pipe. 

Will add mods as I can.

• Like 1

Just ordered the forks for my Xtrainer.

Waiting for the Fox shock to be released.

Was told that FMF will be releasing Xtrainer pipe.

Will add mods as I can.

What do you mean you ordered your forks? Do you mean fork spring. I'm just curious as I just put money down on a 16 x trainer and am waiting on some springs and protection to show up.

Boano racing makes/sells modified fork for the Xtrainer. I'm making it what it was NOT meant to be.

My inside (what ever) on the FMF pipe said today, two mouths out. Might not wait and get the RR FMF garnly pipe. 

Boano racing makes/sells modified fork for the Xtrainer. I'm making it what it was NOT meant to be.

My inside (what ever) on the FMF pipe said today, two mouths out. Might not wait and get the RR FMF garnly pipe. 

The FMF Gnarly pipe on my Xtrainer is great. You wont be dissapointed. Did Boano add the springs for your weight before shipping it to you or will you need to still mod the fork?

The forks came with 4.5 (so they say. It feels heaver then that ) the fox shock I got came with 5.2 (to soft)

Forks feel good and the shock feels to soft. Ordering the 5.5 rear spring so I can get some kind of balance.

Thank you for the FMF info.

I hate the feeling I spent almost $2k and still need to get it dialed in. It will be worth it though.

Edited by retroone

The forks came with 4.5 (so they say. It feels heaver then that ) the fox shock I got came with 5.2 (to soft)

Forks feel good and the shock feels to soft. Ordering the 5.5 rear spring so I can get some kind of balance.

Thank you for the FMF info.

I hate the feeling I spent almost $2k and still need to get it dialed in. It will be worth it though.

Wouldn't this been easier? or are you wanting the smaller frame etc.?  http://www.betausa.com/content/300-rr-race-edition-0

Edited by thewegian

I need a smaller lighter and easier bike to ride for this broken up body I have.

The Xtrainer has let me do the gnarly single track again that I SOooooo love.

I switch off with a friends 300RR and I do miss the full size some times.

Edited by retroone

Up date on the forks. Checked the oil level and found the right leg way more then the left one.

Just way to much oil. Set the level 160mm and Installed the bleeders. Firm but plush = smiles

The 5.5 spring came in. I set the race sag and the static was right were I wanted. Bigger smiles

Got my Goldentyre steamroller 90/100 21 Dam that's a big tyre. BUT I LIKE IT.

Test ride tomorrow.

Edited by retroone
  • Like 2

What do you mean you ordered your forks? Do you mean fork spring. I'm just curious as I just put money down on a 16 x trainer and am waiting on some springs and protection to show up.

I've got a 16 with about 160 miles on it. I weigh close to 200 wet. My ability level is A but I'm 67 so I don't ride at that level for long. My trails are gnarly East Coast single track with a mixture of roots, rocks and logs. I have heard that the suspension on the 15's needed work. I love the suspension on my 16. No fork diving under breaking. No bottoming at either end. It's very plush and when I hit a big log unexpectedly. It soaks it right up. If anything it could be a little more supple on the roots and small rocks. I'm not getting any deflection which kind of surprised me because I'm doing everything I can to find the limits, like crossing wet roots at an angle on an off camber. If I got the front as soft as I am wishing for then it might dive under braking. At 160 miles I'm not sure that the suspension is fully broken in so I'm just going to wait and see. It has sacked down enough that at 5'-5" I can usually get a foot down if I plan ahead when I stop. It's still tall enough that I always start it in gear the first time of the day. I can't balance and get to the shifter otherwise.

• Like 1

My weekend ride. :ride:  I took the tools to adjust any thing on the suspension.  :prof:

Only took a few clicks here and there. :applause:  This bike is now a RR light. I love it.. 👍

The FMF Gnarly next.

Edited by retroone
  • Like 2

I've got a 16 with about 160 miles on it. I weigh close to 200 wet. My ability level is A but I'm 67 so I don't ride at that level for long. My trails are gnarly East Coast single track with a mixture of roots, rocks and logs. I have heard that the suspension on the 15's needed work. I love the suspension on my 16. No fork diving under breaking. No bottoming at either end. It's very plush and when I hit a big log unexpectedly. It soaks it right up. If anything it could be a little more supple on the roots and small rocks. I'm not getting any deflection which kind of surprised me because I'm doing everything I can to find the limits, like crossing wet roots at an angle on an off camber. If I got the front as soft as I am wishing for then it might dive under braking. At 160 miles I'm not sure that the suspension is fully broken in so I'm just going to wait and see. It has sacked down enough that at 5'-5" I can usually get a foot down if I plan ahead when I stop. It's still tall enough that I always start it in gear the first time of the day. I can't balance and get to the shifter otherwise.

I feel your pain! @ 56 and being 5'6", i struggle as well with the height but its really a pretty good fit with size, ergos, and LOVE the power with no pipe hit.

Real ride today. Mountain rocky single track. Front and rear suspension playing nice together.

A gazelle on the single track. I can pick a rock and jump a whole short gnarly section. I like! 

• Like 2

I started this thread so this is where I will make my comments. 😛  Just a replay to a thread about the Xtrainer suspension. I could ride my Xtrainer with the stock forks and shock and had to ride at a backed off pace (6 months worth) and had a lot of fun riding it. So to here someone say they are a "A" rider 🤦  and say the stock suspension is good that's ok,🤣  But at race pace in the "A" class no way.  :naughty:   "B" class maybe depending on the course and rider.

JMHO :eek:

Rant over :banghead:

• Like 1

What sag are you all running? I got my bike and broke it in this last weekend in Moab Utah. In trashy areas it seemed in balance. In short areas with sand whoops my shock felt bouncy. I put on new springs before ever riding.

I have a rear Fox shock, race sag set at 1/3 ish of total the travel.  Got it set at 3 1/4 " that give me 1" static sag

Marzocchi forks

I have a rear Fox shock, race sag set at 1/3 ish of total the travel. Got it set at 3 1/4 " that give me 1" static sag

Marzocchi forks

Please keep us updated on that shock!!!!

Up date time. I absolutely love my Suspension.

First up is the forks. Three hard single track rides rocks small, medium, and large. Roots all sizes. Up hill and down hill jumps in to rocks.

The forks are broken in now. Eats up the trail trash. Mid stroke smooth and firm. The last 1/3 you can slam into rocks with good resistance.

When bottomed no clank or any thing weird and the rebound predictable and controllable. 

Compression back out all the way. Rebound backed all but 2 clicks.

The rear shock took time to break in also, I had the compression and rebound way to stiff. Now slow speed compression set at 4 clicks from all the way out (thank god it's normal-clockwise is stiffer) High speed is now backed out all but 1 click. Nice and smooth and resists bottoming very nice. Rebound backed out all but 4 clicks. So sitting on bouncing the bike front and rear mimic the OEM suspension. 

Don't let that fool you. The slow rock beds supple and smooth.

Bring it up to fast gnarly single track or believe it or not whooped out section this bike just rips.

So when I back in down to a  4+ hour ride pace it is so sweet. Videos coming soon.

My riding buddy's give me the honors of you jump down that rock first. 👍

This is still not a 300RR but so fun climbing steep rocked out sections - I can touch the ground.

Edited by retroone
  • Like 3

Just ordered the fork kit and fox shock for my 2015 xtrainer. Good thread and thanks for the info.

I have a rear Fox shock, race sag set at 1/3 ish of total the travel.  Got it set at 3 1/4 " that give me 1" static sag

Marzocchi forks

FOX RC2 shock Im assuming?

How much do you weigh?

I turn 54 today and 185lb in my "birthday suit" and thinking about making my '15 XT able to handle a wider range of riding situations...