Learn from my mistake!

Today I went out riding, and I brought my little toolkit with me which includes 2 screwdrivers, a ratchet, a few sockets, electrical tape, and some spare bolts...

Well, I got stuck on this one spot and my chain came off the rear sprocket...Not only that, but the chain got all jammed up around the C/S sprocket!!

I figured that I'd just take the C/S sprocket off, and maybe get the chain back onto the sprockets without needing to open up the chain. Well that wasn't working. The chain was really jammed up in there.

So I decided that maybe if I pop open the master link, I'd somehow be able to get the chain free. I didn't have a chain press tool with me or even vice grips or pliers either, so I wasn't sure how I was even going to get it back together. However, my main concern was just getting the chain off. 

I lifted the bike up onto a big log so that my rear wheel could spin freely (holy crap the TTR230 is heavy!! Now I see why you guys call it a pig!!).

Still no luck...

Fortunately I was 2 miles from my parents house. However, I still needed to push my bike up several very steep and muddy hills (no traction) just to get out of the woods.

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that I lost the clip to the master link when I popped it off. It fell into leaves, and it was no where to be found. Therefore, even if I did get the chain off, I wouldn't be able to get it back together.

So I pushed this pig up a lot of muddy hills out of the woods, and then up several steep hills on the road.

Looking on the brightside, I had a great day up until then, and even after all this happened, I still got a GREAT workout in today!!

Moral of the story: Bring something green to smoke next time ?.

(and a spare master link and press tool)

• Like 4

Today I went out riding, and I brought my little toolkit with me which includes 2 screwdrivers, a ratchet, a few sockets, electrical tape, and some spare bolts...

!!

Haha, if you had brought something with you to smoke you still would be sitting there staring at the bike marveling at various aspects of it. ?

• Like 5

I am not that familiar with the TTR but IMO the chain should not becoming off the sprocket in the first place so you should really make sure you have the correct chain and that the chain is adjusted correctly. 

Personally the only time I've seen a chain come of is when it broke.

Anyway, might be obvious but make sure the chain didn't do any damage to the case near the front sprocket.

Then use an impact gun to get the front sprocket bolt off and IMO carrying the right tools to do this is not something I carry in my pack.

And ya it could have been a lot worse - my 2 cents is I try to make sure my bike is as bomb proof as I can make it before a ride and know your limitations when you ride alone.

• Like 1

I am not that familiar with the TTR but IMO the chain should not becoming off the sprocket in the first place so you should really make sure you have the correct chain and that the chain is adjusted correctly. 

Anyway, might be obvious but make sure the chain didn't do any damage to the case near the front sprocket.

Then use an impact gun to get the front sprocket bolt off and IMO carrying the right tools to do this is not something I carry in my pack.

And ya it could have been a lot worse - my 2 cents is I try to make sure my bike is as bomb proof as I can make it before a ride and know your limitations when you ride alone.

that,,,

and look see that your bottom rear chain guide aint maybe bent over out of line with the sprocket...

• Like 1

What size chain is on the TTR230, a 420?

I see what you did there ?.

And ya I'm not why it popped off, but I was like stuck in this ditch, and the rear tire kept spinning and digging deeper. As this was happening, there was upward pressure pushing on the chain. Then somehow it got all bunched up and "tangled" around the C:S sprocket...this caused the chain to come off the rear sprocket. I really don't know how exactly this happened, but I couldn't for the life of me get the tangle out....it wasn't until after I was just about up this muddy hill that it just came loose and I removed the chain and sprocket.

I will certainly check for alignment after I fix her back up. I will also make sure to bring these extra tools and a spare master link next time! And greens too!

• Like 1

I see what you did there ?.

And ya I'm not why it popped off, but I was like stuck in this ditch, and the rear tire kept spinning and digging deeper. As this was happening, there was upward pressure pushing on the chain. Then somehow it got all bunched up and "tangled" around the C:S sprocket...this caused the chain to come off the rear sprocket. I really don't know how exactly this happened, but I couldn't for the life of me get the tangle out....it wasn't until after I was just about up this muddy hill that it just came loose and I removed the chain and sprocket.

I will certainly check for alignment after I fix her back up. I will also make sure to bring these extra tools and a spare master link next time! And greens too!

Props to you for being able to push that pig up a hill!  ?

The only time I lost a chain was when reinstalling the chain adjusters, I forgot the washers! So the chain adjusters backed into the swingarm, thus loosening the chain. Throwing the chain nearly broke my cases. That was a learning lesson to maintenance.

• Like 1

Ya this wasn't a chain "break"...as in it didn't snap off while I was riding. This was a direct result of me getting stuck in this ditch and trying to throttle my way out of it...The rear wheel just kept spinning and spinning. Something got caught, and that's what caused the chain to get all wonky on me.

Ya I'm gonna double check the chain tension when I get my bike back from my parents house. When I switched the C/S sprocket, I had the slack set right at 2.0", which right between the upper and lower limits per the owners manual.

I wish I took a picture of how the chain got all bunched up. It was really weird...I'm not sure how it got so tangled up, because I could not for the life of me get the tangle out.

Weed should only be used when things are going good, it shouldn't be smoked after something has gone horribly wrong, it can make matters worse, IMO

Nah sometimes it helps to "reset" the mind... from man this totally sucks wtf damnit, too oh well shit happens, it's kinda funny so let push this pig with a smile on my face!

Don't get me wrong, if that had happened to me and someone offered me some, I'd without a doubt do it. If I was alone and that happened, smokin' weed would be the last thing I'd think to do, I find it enhances whatever I'm going through, if I'm sad it makes me sadder, happy - happier, cold -colder etc. Maybe it's just me

Well, I got stuck on this one spot and my chain came off the rear sprocket...Not only that, but the chain got all jammed up around the C/S sprocket!!

I figured that I'd just take the C/S sprocket off, and maybe get the chain back onto the sprockets without needing to open up the chain. Well that wasn't working. The chain was really jammed up in there.

So I decided that maybe if I pop open the master link, I'd somehow be able to get the chain free. I didn't have a chain press tool with me or even vice grips or pliers either, so I wasn't sure how I was even going to get it back together. However, my main concern was just getting the chain off. 

I lifted the bike up onto a big log so that my rear wheel could spin freely (holy crap the TTR230 is heavy!! Now I see why you guys call it a pig!!).

Still no luck...

Fortunately I was 2 miles from my parents house. However, I still needed to push my bike up several very steep and muddy hills (no traction) just to get out of the woods.

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that I lost the clip to the master link when I popped it off. It fell into leaves, and it was no where to be found. Therefore, even if I did get the chain off, I wouldn't be able to get it back together.

So I pushed this pig up a lot of muddy hills out of the woods, and then up several steep hills on the road.

Looking on the brightside, I had a great day up until then, and even after all this happened, I still got a GREAT workout in today!!

(and a spare master link and press tool)

wrap the chain around as much of the rear sprocket as possible, then hold it onto the sprocket (so it won't fall off) with zip ties. shift to neutral if you can. use the weight of the rear wheel to snatch out the stuck chain by spinning it, instead of your muscles. 

carry an extra masterlink, vice  grips, and a common head screw driver. you can pry against the ends of the link to remove it, if the entire chain needs to come off, and press the new link on with the vice grips and a socket. 

pushing a bike out isn't something i would do- there is always a buddy willing to laugh while towing you out. let them laugh ?