Sign in to follow this  

Buying opinion

Hello,guys I've been lurking with out an account for awhile but I need experts opinion. I am going to look at a couple 02 cr250r here soon just wanting to know what a fair price to give for one these days.

First bike has seen little to no ride time on farm talked to the owner he said oil and general maintenance has been done but motor hasn't been rebuilt since owning says he's owned it for a few years. More than likely going to have to build top and bottom end, and whatever esle I find

Second bike same year and model

New vertex top end with

New wiseco bottom little ride time

All new seals, DNA rims and hubs

New reed valves, New shock linkage bearings, Forks recetly cleaned and refreshed by protune

New front and rear renthal sprockets

New boysen reeds, new shock and headset bearings and linkage.

Both bikes have a 500 dollar difference

So just wondering what you guys think and a fair price to offer.

Edited by Jeepie

The wiseco crank & dna rims are a cost deduction. Both are inferior parts compared to stock oem components. The wiseco crank (& especially the bearings) are scrap in comparison to oem. The dna rims are both heavier & weaker than stock rims.

Go with the bike that was never cracked open & rebuild as needed. The oem crank may be good & all you need is a topend. The bike all messed with is less appealing.

• Like 1

I would also look to see which one has the least amount of crash damage and hours. Check the radiators, lower frame rails, brake pads (stock fronts are easy to see 'nissin' on the backing plate), frame spar gouges under the rad shrouds, and make sure the chain hasn't been eating the frame or the swingarm @ the pivot on the left side. If it's a true low-hour farmer bike it might even have the stock K490 front tire (those farmers never change them). If the crank is tight replace the crank seals w/the top-end for a little added insurance.

I agree with taking the bike that is closest to stock. If a bike has a bunch of aftermarket parts it's most likely bc of the wear and tear on the OEM stuff. I'd go with the low hours bike you described first. It's exactly what I did when I bought my 2003. I'd offer $2000 if it is in fantastic shape. He won't sell it for that and you may need to go all the way to $2500. Now before all you guys go ragging on those prices remember, none of us have seen the bike. If it is low low hours and the thing is mint and all original $2500 is as high as I think anyone should go. I'd shoot for $2000 though and see what he comes back with. Bring on the criticism!!

Prices for these are all over the board and will vary on location. Here I've seen 02-04 bikes for as little as $800 for a beat-up stock bike and as high as $2400 for 'mint' condition w/a few extras (bars, pipe/silencer, new plastic/graphics and tires). The 02 air boxes leak, letting in dirt and few people bother to fix it, something to think about when considering both bikes.

I just bought an 02. Around here I looked at several and they were all between 2 and 3200 for the 02-04 bikes. Unless they needed work, then they would be around 1500

Well hopefully get to go look at these things tomorrow. If it doesn't snow to much. Thanks for the info guys. Can't wait to get back riding.

Well both of those bikes sold. Thanks for helping answer questions and so on. Looks like ima wait for a left over 15