ever use one of these for a dirtbike battery?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-6800mAh-Super-Power-Blue-Rechargeable-Li-ion-Battery-Pack-for-CCTV-Camera-/361453228752?hash=item54284a92d0:g:8rEAAOSwT6pVqbqQ

i removed the stock battery from my bike and now with the turbo kit there is no room for a full sized battery so this looks perfect , just need something to absorb the voltage spikes so i dont kill anymore led lights or the fuel pump 

anyone ever use something like this before 

Edited by project89
  • Like 1

My bike does not have a battery BUT I've been thinking about adding a rad fan and or a LED light bar and this looks like a good option for either of these.

Thanks for the link and maybe someone can you some advice on this

they make them in a few different sizes so hopefully somone will have info and say they work , ill grab the biggest one i can possibly fit under my seat or on the bike somewere.

i started running 35w led headlights and never want to run a halogen bulb again , the led is so much nicer,bright and shines so damn far . ive blown up 2x headlights so far from the lack of a battery . both times my fault though for starting the bike up with the light on 

Edited by project89

Just because it has 12 volts doesn't mean it will start your bike or should.

Just because it has 12 volts doesn't mean it will start your bike or should

my bike is not electric start , so i dont need a battery for starting, bike runs just fine without a battery on it , but ineed one to control the voltage spikes that damage my led lights and may damage the fuel pump i had to put on for the turbo kit 

my bike is not electric start , so i dont need a battery for starting, bike runs just fine without a battery on it , but ineed one to control the voltage spikes that damage my led lights and may damage the fuel pump i had to put on for the turbo kit 

They use the right tool for the job. You either need a rectifier or regulator, I forgot which one. Also doesn't mean it can handle the electrical current from the stator.

To the OP what bike is this and does it have a kick starter?

Ya it needs to be 12 volts but you need to look at the amp Hours

The unit in the link is 6800 mAH which is milliamps and the H stands for hours so mAH and converted to amps its 6.8 amp Hours (AH). My street bike needs a min of 12.8 AH to start.

This is getting more technical than my experience (and just saw rectifier which scares me) BUT you might be able to hook up 2 of these to start the bike but you then need to be able to re-charge these from the stator to continue to use the electric re-start the bike on one ride.

As a power source to run occasionally run an electric fan or LED lights on one ride without re-charging I'm interested

Edited by filterx

To the OP what bike is this and does it have a kick starter?

Ya it needs to be 12 volts but you need to look at the amp Hours

The unit in the link is 6800 mAH which is milliamps and the H stands for hours so mAH and converted to amps its 6.8 amp Hours (AH). My street bike needs a min of 12.8 AH to start.

This is getting more technical than my experience (and just saw rectifier which scares me) BUT you might be able to hook up 2 of these to start the bike but you then need to be able to re-charge these from the stator to continue to use the electric re-start the bike on one ride.

As a power source to run occasionally run an electric fan or LED lights on one ride without re-charging I'm interested

86 xl250r , it is kick start only , the plenum i had to build for the turbo kit take sup the space in which the stock battery can go , even before i turbocharged the bike i ran it without a battery no probems, bike should already have a regulator/rectifier on it , i actually know it does just not sure which one 

heres what happens , if i forget to turn my lights off when i kick start the bike , there is an initial power surge which fries the leds , as u can see i have forgoten to turn my lights off on startup on more then one occasion.im also concerned that the fuel pump may get damaged from the same surge on startup hence i want a small battery to help with those spikes , it doesnt need to be big , it doesnt need to run my lights for more then 30 seconds witht he bike off , it just needs to dampen the voltage spikes nothing else 

Ya this is a bit beyond my technical experience but what I would do is.

Do not start cutting into the existing wiring harness in case you need it at some point later.

Disconnect the LED's etc from the existing wiring harness and make new connections and wiring straight back to the new battery pack. This is basically what i would need to do for a rad fan or LED lights was to do this for my bike.

Does this make sense?

that battery would accomplish what you describe, Also a large capacitor would do the same thing and take even less space.

I want to see pictures of this turboed xr250!

IMAG0575_zpsj9vhiddz.jpg

motor is out of it atm for a new clutch and top end rebuild/hop up 

porting the head , installing kibble white lightwieght valve spring kit , hotcam/custom cam 

will have it all back together soon , once the motors back together i just need to make up the pitot tubes to put int he plenum and build the downpipe , figure out how to mount my wideband o2 sensor

this is what it looked like pre turbo and somewhat clean,

IMAG0315_zpsrrrcdbdi.jpg

its also now sporting a cr250 usd front fork conversion 

Edited by project89
  • Like 3

that battery would accomplish what you describe, Also a large capacitor would do the same thing and take even less space.

I want to see pictures of this turboed xr250!

i would use a capacitor but a battery even if only very small will help with the startup draw of the fuel pump , i dont need to run the pump to start the bike up as the fuel bowls will already be full of fuel , just need to turn it on before the turbo starts to make boost presure.

the only thing that sucks about thise build is i had to weld 2 -6 an fittings to my nice steel tank for the fuel pickup and return line

Why fuel inject and turbo a 250xr? post pictures if you can too...sounds interesting.

Joe

its not fuel injected, though i had thoughs of fuel injecting it with one of my spare megasquirt ecms . i am doing blow threw on the factory dual carbs carbs with pitot tubes , simple and effective , and i can go back to stock very easily if i want to 

pictures above when i was building the kit , soon as i get the engine back together ill take complete pics , its to cold to ride right now so i have been taking my time with it 

as for why....... would wouldnt want a friggen turbocharged dirtbike lol 

actually i do alot of car and truck stuff , everything i own and drive has a turbo/twin turbos on it , i build all my own kits , so turbocharging my bike was a no brainer , and this is a steeping stone next will be a kx450 or like a yz 450 that i will turbo 

Edited by project89

its not fuel injected, though i had thoughs of fuel injecting it with one of my spare megasquirt ecms . i am doing blow threw on the factory dual carbs carbs with pitot tubes , simple and effective , and i can go back to stock very easily if i want to

pictures above when i was building the kit , soon as i get the engine back together ill take complete pics , its to cold to ride right now so i have been taking my time with it

as for why....... would wouldnt want a friggen turbocharged dirtbike lol

actually i do alot of car and truck stuff , everything i own and drive has a turbo/twin turbos on it , i build all my own kits , so turbocharging my bike was a no brainer , and this is a steeping stone next will be a kx450 or like a yz 450 that i will turbo

Just curious, but why didn't you ask on thirdgen where you already have this build posted? Looking up turbocharged dirt bikes, your thread was pretty easy to find from your rough start with the intended Suzuki until a few days ago.

Just curious, but why didn't you ask on thirdgen where you already have this build posted? Looking up turbocharged dirt bikes, your thread was pretty easy to find from your rough start with the intended Suzuki until a few days ago.

yeah i was going to originally do a dr200 but we broke the piston ,why would i ask a bunch of car guys if that battery would work on a bike( that would be liek me asking which set of cyl heads should i put on my turbo camaro on this forum) , though the fabrication section were i posted my bike build does have some cool stuff.the dr200 was dead over a year ago, the thread sat idle for a while until a few months ago when i started on the xr  , we kept the frame eventually going to build something out of it 

Edited by project89

yeah i was going to originally do a dr200 but we broke the piston ,why would i ask a bunch of car guys if that battery would work on a bike( that would be liek me asking which set of cyl heads should i put on my turbo camaro on this forum) , though the fabrication section were i posted my bike build does have some cool stuff.the dr200 was dead over a year ago, the thread sat idle for a while until a few months ago when i started on the xr , we kept the frame eventually going to build something out of it

Lol, you could ask what the best heads for your camaro in the Town Square section here and have a couple dozen car guys offering good advice. As far as your battery question, I was going to suggest a capacitor earlier on, but saw your response to that already. The battery pack you posted looks like a pretty good option, but at that price I would be concerned about quality.

Lol, you could ask what the best heads for your camaro in the Town Square section here and have a couple dozen car guys offering good advice. As far as your battery question, I was going to suggest a capacitor earlier on, but saw your response to that already. The battery pack you posted looks like a pretty good option, but at that price I would be concerned about quality.

for the price i could buy 2 , but ill probably buy 1 to try and if it does blow up burn out etc ill look for something of better quality , guy on another forum suggested i use a 14.4v battery instead of the 12v battery , i guess i could hook my meter upto the bike and see what voltage initially spikes to when i first start it , im sure a really high spike may hurt that cheap battery