Sign in to follow this  

01 DRZ 400 motor mods

Hey guys.  i have been a member for almost 4 years but i don't post up much.  i have learned a lot about my bike from your posts over that time and have saved lots of $$

Anyway.i have a 2001 drz 400E and bought a S frame two years ago and made it street legal.

I am the 2nd owner.   i have never touched the motor and the previous owner told me when i bought it that he had never taken it apart either,

The bike still runs good but this last time out i could feel it starting  to get a little slower than normal.

I am sure it is way past time for a new top end.

I don't want to rebuild it back to stock. it already has the 39 flat slide carb with a pipe.

what is a good proven motor combo, "Piston size, cams, cdi and other things " that work real good.

I would love more power but i need it to still be a reliable motor.  i plan on doing the B to V this year on it.

I have already re sprung it and have a extra desert tank for when i need it for longer rides.

I know from building my YFZ quad motor in the past that  just by buying  and installing a bolt on big bore kit can actually make the bike slower than stock.

so what combo works good for these motors ? 440 kit with stage 2 cams ??  decking the cylinder with a stock piston with stage 2 cams ?

i don't know the tricks on making these Suzuki motors work yet.. 

thanks Guys  Phil

Everyone that gets either the CW or the ATHENA 434 BBK is very a happy with it,  most say it will add like 4-5 HP,  im still running the stock set up on mine,  cause it has plenty of power,  but if you'r due for a rebuild,  the CW BBK would be the way to go imo. 

You already have E cams and the FCR carb,  so youre set there. 

• Like 2