Air Box Mod on the XT?

I ordered the JD Jetting kit for my 2016 XT since I couldn't get the stock needle to work. The instructions with the kit gives a jetting guide for bikes with the air box modification, which specifies a larger main jet. Does anyone know what the air box modification actually is on the XT? I would like to do it if it increases airflow and requires a richer jetting. I called JD today to inquire but they were not sure about the modification even though they specified a richer jetting.

BTW, the kit works great. I'm sea level, about 50 degrees, using the blue (richer) needle, 3rd clip with 152MJ. Works good at all ranges.

• Like 1

I ordered the JD Jetting kit for my 2016 XT since I couldn't get the stock needle to work. The instructions with the kit gives a jetting guide for bikes with the air box modification, which specifies a larger main jet. Does anyone know what the air box modification actually is on the XT? I would like to do it if it increases airflow and requires a richer jetting. I called JD today to inquire but they were not sure about the modification even though they specified a richer jetting.

BTW, the kit works great. I'm sea level, about 50 degrees, using the blue (richer) needle, 3rd clip with 152MJ. Works good at all ranges.

Interesting. They have no clue why they recommend their own jetting? ?

I am guessing that they use generic text for their instructions & adjust the jet info per bike as needed? When I removed the oil injector, I also removed the oil tank (Which blocks the right side of the air box) & air box cover (Which blocks the top of the air box). It is now like the RRs prior to 2016 & the 2016 race models. I am using JDs recommended jetting for an open air box & moved up to the richer needle (One step richer from their recommended jetting). The pilot seems a little rich but its very close to ideal.

I got back in touch with JD today about the jetting guide for air box mods. He said any significant additional openings in the air box such as cutting holes or removing snorkel will require richer jetting. He also said that removing the oil injection system will qualify as an air box mod and thus require richer jetting.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/22/2016 at 0:01 PM, jeffrow68 said:

I got back in touch with JD today about the jetting guide for air box mods. He said any significant additional openings in the air box such as cutting holes or removing snorkel will require richer jetting. He also said that removing the oil injection system will qualify as an air box mod and thus require richer jetting.

I guess the Xtrainer is that clogged there??

• 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, redhurricane said:

Is the factory XT air box a restriction? Watch and you decide. BIG hunk of plastic and a small hole where air is channeled through. Two bolts and 30 seconds and its out. 

Do you also recommend this procedure if you ride mostly at 0-1000'. Will it affect the actual jetting on the X Trainer? Advantages for 0-1000' if any?