Sign in to follow this  

DS miles on a tank - newer Betas?

My old Beta had a 3.8 gallon tank, and I felt that was about the minimum I could get by with, using it as a lightweight adventure bike. I see the newer models only have one choice for a bigger tank- 3 gallons. Plus, I assume the FI models won't be able to be run "dry" due to the fuel pump. I haven't read anyone say what kind of mileage the FI bikes get, but I'm guessing it's better than the carb'd bikes, right?

I'm not talking single-track miles... more like Dual Sport riding- two track, dirt roads, and stuff like that.

If I'm not flogging it, and averaging around 35-40mph on dirt roads out in the desert I think I'd be fairly close to 75-80 miles on the tank. I don't trust when the low fuel light comes on, pretty unreliable. 

'15 350RR

I have the same question to anyone with a 480 Racing.  I am hoping to pick one up this spring and the small tank is the only issue I have with the bike.   Anyone with a 480 Racing and the IMS tank know their average miles per tank?

Oldcow

If I'm not flogging it, and averaging around 35-40mph on dirt roads out in the desert I think I'd be fairly close to 75-80 miles on the tank. I don't trust when the low fuel light comes on, pretty unreliable. 

'15 350RR

Wow, that sounds pretty similar to a carb'd bike. I've only owned a couple FI bikes, but they got considerably better mileage than their counterparts with a carb. I was hoping Beta would be similar, especially with no large tank option.

Thanks

Wow, that sounds pretty similar to a carb'd bike. I've only owned a couple FI bikes, but they got considerably better mileage than their counterparts with a carb. I was hoping Beta would be similar, especially with no large tank option.

Thanks

In all fairness I've never run it dry, so I can't say for sure. 

I've gone 130 miles on my '15, 500 RS, with the 3.2gal? BYOB tank.  I had switched to the reserve but didn't run it dry. (Mix:80/20, road/dirt)

Edited by jrhesch
  • Like 1

I've gone 130 miles on my '15, 500 RS, with the 3.2gal? BYOB tank.  I had switched to the reserve but didn't run it dry. (Mix:80/20, road/dirt)

That right there is good news to my ears.

'15 350RR

After a re-jet my 2013 350rr was getting this mileage. I am convinced this FI system is not as efficient as the other brands. Great system for longevity and performance just a little thirsty.

jrhesch, on 24 Jan 2016 - 7:46 PM, said:snapback.png

That right there is good news to my ears.

Just remember that FI bikes have their fuel pumps in the tank. and thus have something like a liter or more less capacity.

The farthest I ever pushed my 498RR dual sporting with the 3.1 gallon tank, stock RR jetting, and 14/48 gearing was 125 miles, and was thrilled at the gas mileage.  I was close, but did not hit reserve.  I think the bike would be bone dry (aka I'm walking) at 135-140 miles.  Thus, generally, I now count on 43-45 mpg on long haul dual sport rides.  Very happy with that.

I would assume 2016+ fuel injected bikes could get 45-50 mpg, but, like others said, I'm not sure how much fuel volume the fuel pump displaces.  I'd estimate 130 mile maximum range for both carbed and FI bikes with the 3.0/3.1 gallon tanks.

Edited by mtnmanseth

My bike has all original jetting and I am running stock gearing. I'm mostly on gravel dirt roads. Hardly any trail riding.

My .02:

300 rr, 3.1 gallon tank, 130 plus miles 80/20 trail/road (and not "mellow"trail) did not hit reserve.......Lectron assisted bike.

Your mileage WILL VARY..........

All dirtbikes are 25-35mpg on typical dirt terrain.

Racing makes it less, Tarmac makes it more.

That's the truest response yet. We all ride different conditions/styles so results will be different. Tarmac is 45, woods is 27-35 and ice is 17-23. For the most part my son's exc 500 fi and Husky 501 fi avg. 3-5 mpg better in the same riding environment over my carbed 520.. 

• Like 1

I've heard (well, read) that some guys are getting in the 60 mpg range on a 500EXC. Obviously, that must be some pretty mellow riding. But, it seems like a FI Beta couldn't even get 50 mpg if you were really trying. That's why it's interesting to see the best numbers that someone can get. It seems (to me) that the FI Betas are about the same as the carb'd models (or very close).

Note the "DS miles" in the thread title... I don't think guys like Krannie are doing many DS miles. Also, I realize not many on the Beta forum are doing DS miles.

I've heard (well, read) that some guys are getting in the 60 mpg range on a 500EXC. Obviously, that must be some pretty mellow riding. But, it seems like a FI Beta couldn't even get 50 mpg if you were really trying. That's why it's interesting to see the best numbers that someone can get. It seems (to me) that the FI Betas are about the same as the carb'd models (or very close).

Note the "DS miles" in the thread title... I don't think guys like Krannie are doing many DS miles. Also, I realize not many on the Beta forum are doing DS miles.

I think more to come as far as observed mileage pertaining to the new FI Beta's. As they're 2016 (RS) bikes actually just now hitting the showroom floors out west. Another 6 months when many of these new RS bikes get out and get abused, then we will have a little better feel for what they can net the average rider. You're right many of us find it impossible to not rip it out of turns, look for the nastiest hillclimb and want to nail it, yeah the Beta brings that out in many of us. And in which case the fuel economy suffers greatly,  😛

But the 60mpg 500EXC's? who knows

The EXC 500 would be hard pressed to get 60 mpg unless tarmacing it at 30-35. A friend has one and one of my sons has the husky version (Both 15's), best either has gotten is 53mpg. My other son just picked up a 16 exc 500 last week but has yet to even start it, I should see if there's a difference between years as soon as he gets it out.