Sign in to follow this  

Wiring question

Ok. I have another question for you all. Im am going to add a 12v plug and a switch with 2 fog lights. I would rather not run straight off the battery so i dont accidentally leave them on. Im nervous to run that much extra draw straight off an ignition wire.

What are your thoughts/ suggestions?

Use a relay to transfer the power for you.

Battery - fuse - relay pin 30

Ignition wire - switch - relay pin86

Ground - relay pin 85

Relay pin 87 to lamps.

• Like 1

Relays are available at all parts stores. Most are available with a plug and wiring pigtail. Don't forget to use twin wall heat shrink tubing ( has glue / sealant inside ), and soldered connections. Or, use heat shrink type crimp butt connectors. This will keep dirt and water out of the wiring connections. Do it right, do it once.

• Like 1

As said above. The relay wires to the battery and is activated by the key switch so no hazard of leaving it on and no extra current on the existing wiring.

• Like 2

Thanks guys. That is what i was looking for. Can i run the lights and 12v plug off the same relay? Also in cars i have used the clamp style connectors to tap into ignition wires for amps and such. These are generally not weatherproof though. Any reccomendations here?

Edited by cycleholic2010

Thanks guys. That is what i was looking for. Can i run the lights and 12v plug off the same relay? Also in cars i have used the clamp style connectors to tap into ignition wires for amps and such. These are generally not weatherproof though. Any reccomendations here?

If it were me i would not use clamp type connectors (scotchlocks) aside from not the most reliable connection,they can damage the wire that they are fastened to. ..I would solder and heatshrink....or use heatshrink connection.

Edited by siscoken
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. So i am good with everything except the best way to tap into the ignition wire. Do i knick the wire. Solder my new wire to it the heat shrink over this? Or am i looking for an existing connection on the ignition wire?

A couple of suggestions:

1. (Easiest) Cut an existing wire, strip both ends, twist new wire to one of those ends, crimp a heat shrink style butt connector to the twisted wires, fit the other stripped end into the butt connector. Heat and shrink the connector.

2. Strip some insulation from an existing wire but leave the wire intact, twist the new wire around the existing wire and solder together, cover the connection with some liquid electrical tape.

3. Cut an existing wire, sleeve some heat shrink tubing a long way down the wire, strip that wire back about 1", twist the wires together at their ends and solder, twist the new( relay) wire onto the bare wire and solder, slide the heat shrink tubing along, over both connections and heat to shrink and seal.