Sign in to follow this  

Have a 350 EXC and wish you would have gone with the 500?

Or vice versa.  I'm trying to decide on the 350 or the 500 EXC.  I'm not a super aggressive rider, but I want to get better.  I love riding in the dirt, but also love doing BDR's out here in the west (so some pavement is in order).  I plan on going super light on the camping gear and using Giant Loop products.  I weigh 160 pounds.  I ride one BDR a year, but spend a lot more time in the woods and riding with the kids.  I sold the 990 ADV because it was too heavy and sold the KLX250 because it didn't have any pop in the woods.

Has anyone bought a 350 and wished they had gone with a 500 or just the opposite?  I think a 350 would work for my needs, but . . .

Have the 500, never regretted it for a second. I rode both bikes at a KTM demo and didn't feel like there was much if any handling difference between the two.  I thought the 500 was gonna handle like a tank but the fact is its incredibly agile and light feeling while riding. You cant go wrong with either to be honest.  These are the amazing bikes.

• Like 3

Get both

I'm in that situation right now.  I need a 2nd plated bike.  But I'm thinking on either getting the new YZ450FX in AZ which would come plated or getting the WR450 and getting it CA plated.  Getting the 500 would seem just too close to what I have :goofy:   

I'm in that situation right now. I need a 2nd plated bike. But I'm thinking on either getting the new YZ450FX in AZ which would come plated or getting the WR450 and getting it CA plated. Getting the 500 would seem just too close to what I have :goofy:

we just got a 350 6 days in at my local shop. And I want it. Didn't know they had a platable 350 6 days. My wife's going to kill me. Lol
  • Like 1

we just got a 350 6 days in at my local shop. And I want it. Didn't know they had a platable 350 6 days. My wife's going to kill me. Lol

Oh, the 350 XC-W?

Ya but 6 day. And I just watched the video on the yz450fx. Pretty cool. Didn't know that was available. I feel in the next few years all 4 will start making something comparable to the KTM's. Although plating them may be a problem in California. My buddy just got his 08 cr450x plates yesterday. So it is doable.

• Like 1

Ya but 6 day. And I just watched the video on the yz450fx. Pretty cool. Didn't know that was available. I feel in the next few years all 4 will start making something comparable to the KTM's. Although plating them may be a problem in California. My buddy just got his 08 cr450x plates yesterday. So it is doable.

How did he get it through the ca dmv?

I know someone who works with the dmv and knows people (in the dmv) who will play dumb and look the other way. But he also says it's just a matter of time before the errors are caught and the plates reversed. He says it could be anywhere from months to many years. Just depends on luck.

I had my '07 WR 450 plated since '08. Sold it last year and it transferred no problem.

My title no longer says "off road", it says "motorcycle".

Edited by KennyMc

I don't know how be did it but he did. I couldn't believe it either. I keep my plate in my backpack. Lol. No turn signals lights nothing. So far so good. Cops just seem to wave and haven't been hassled. I took off it all off a few months back and have left it off. 500exc. For some reason it feels 100lbs lighter.

• Like 1

My parents bikes are both plated. Had them registered to his sister in new Hampshire then transfered back to California. No problems. Crf250x and moms crf230. Lol. The 230 is classic. They don't ride much any more but hell there both plated. Lol

People need to stop believing in the boogie man. It can get done tomorrow, it CAN get taken away, I prolly have 7 friends with 450X's and WR's plated. Not worried, it's been many years.

For the type of riding you describe go 500, I have owned two and they are great bikes.  For pure tight trails I may switch to a 350 this year, hopefully KTM updates the EXC bikes as expected and the 350 gets a new motor based on the current SX/XC-F mill.

• Like 1

My next KTM will be a XC-F model.  I don't need all the power that the 450 has for my racing series, so I'd prefer the 350.  But, with the 350 you have to rev it, the 450 you can lug.  I'm a lugger, so the 450 will be my choice.  I will definitely put a throttle tamer on the 450.  Same thing with the 350 and 500 EXC, 500 for the lugger, 350 for the rev'er.

• Like 3

I had my mind made up for months I was going to buy a 350. I had ridden my brother in laws 500 exc and didn't think I needed the power it had. I then went to the dealer and for some reason ended up getting the 500 exc. Super glad I did. Now I have 25 hours on it, some road, some mountain forrest riding and some desert and I'm super thankful I bought the 500exc. The power is super calm and usable unless you feel like a getting a smile on your face, then it has everything you need for that. I can't imagine a better bike.

• Like 1

the 350 works excellent for aggressive riders because it revs out so far. most people get the 350 because they think it will be easier to ride or more nimble. i believe that to be less than half true. i see more people suffer on the 350 trying to keep it in the power when they NEED it but not really having the confidence it takes to do so. its a top end bike, with very little off idle power. if you are comfortable with keeping it revved high or slipping the clutch to build revs, than it is a great bike.

the 500 works for everybody because you can ride it lazy or have it pinned and be scorching. the power is always there and is similar to a volume knob. very bland delivery and no surprises anywhere, especially with the stock exhaust end cap. mod or replace the end cap, and you get a very mild hit toward the top of the revs but it doesnt rev very high. you could potentially replace the entire exhaust, but the results yielded arent worth the cost IMO.

• Like 1

I'm in that situation right now.  I need a 2nd plated bike.  But I'm thinking on either getting the new YZ450FX in AZ which would come plated or getting the WR450 and getting it CA plated.  Getting the 500 would seem just too close to what I have :goofy:   

have you ridden anvil's 500? i dont think its close beyond the color. i dont think i could ride the 350 as well as i can ride my 500. i watched hamster, whom is an excellent rider with the 350 bored out, suffer severely in a ditch having to start from a dead stop. if it didnt stall, the wheel was spinning. i watched that video of you climbing thee hill and it was similar to how the hamster was having issues. i think youd benefit huge from the 500 or 450yam.

im really tempted with the new yam. i just dont know if i could deal with the frame and power delivery of that bike. im so used to torque bikes that spending 10k on a top end bike has me scared.

Edited by TheW0LF

How did he get it through the ca dmv?

I know someone who works with the dmv and knows people (in the dmv) who will play dumb and look the other way. But he also says it's just a matter of time before the errors are caught and the plates reversed. He says it could be anywhere from months to many years. Just depends on luck.

nope once it goes through don't worry about it, we have had no issues. More roads 500, more woods 350 is best!

Edited by allout48